4WD loud popping and thumping feeling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4WD loud popping and thumping feeling

yoster

Reaction score
City, State
Clovis, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Eddie Bauer v8 4x4
2006 4WD 4.6L here

Went up to the snow this weekend - drove most of the day in 4x4 high. All was fine.

At one point though we got stuck - buried the front end into some snow after sliding down a hill due to some ice I didn't see.

While trying to reverse out - I'd start spinning the 4 tires at a slow-ish speed (the ice wasn't thick so we just kept digging until the tires heated up the ice, melted it and we hit pavement. Which eventually worked.) Anyway, as I'd let the gas off after spinning the tires, the tires would all come to a stop, but from inside the truck it felt like they didn't. The truck (transmission) would start bucking HARD and felt as if the tires were still moving at some great speed. They weren't - and my foot was firmly on the brake just to be sure.

All throughout the rocking back/forth, the truck just made TONS of very harsh popping noises from the transmission area. Like unnervingly loud. Never did the 4x4 give out though. And once we got back on the main road, she acted as normal.

I've had a similar thing happen when in the mud before. It does fine until some of the tires start to slip, then you get some bad popping and thumping feeling inside the cab. Sounds like the transmission is about to fall out the bottom of the truck but it never does!

At this point I'm thinking transmission or motor mounts. Truck has about 103k miles on it so it would make sense to me. Any other thoughts from anyone here?

The transfer case does use a clutch to control engage/disengage on it and all of the slipping could have gotten that clutch too hot causing the noise/vibration. If it is the transmission or motor mounts it should be pretty obvious when you look at them.

Back