4WD Low jumps and skips | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4WD Low jumps and skips

ebexplorerguy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Have a 2000 Eddie Bauer that jumps and skips in 4WD low only. It's hard to steer and seems like I am going to damage the drive system if I use it. I would like to use it eventually and was wondering if anyone can diagnose or has experience with this issue.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it jumping and skipping only when you are turning? Are you doing this on a paved surface?

Sand

It is jumping in sand. I discovered this the first time I wanted to use 4WD lo in sand. I have used it on a slippery boat ramp once and yanked a boat out beautifully but it was a straight shot. When I went to try LO in sand it bucked and skipped especially when turning.

It is jumping in sand. I discovered this the first time I wanted to use 4WD lo in sand. I have used it on a slippery boat ramp once and yanked a boat out beautifully but it was a straight shot. When I went to try LO in sand it bucked and skipped especially when turning.
If its bucking and skipping, then get out of 4wd (both 4HI and 4LO) because the drivetrain is being stressed. And if its bucking and skipping, then there is probably enough traction for 2wd.

Back