Flashing 4wd high, 4wd low lights after shifting to 4wd low. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flashing 4wd high, 4wd low lights after shifting to 4wd low.

BadaBingM3

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4WD 2DR Explorer
Ok there is my problem. 99 Ford Explorer sport 4.0 OHV 4WD of mine has always been a bit slow to shift into 4WD Low. Proper steps being applied (Shift to Neutral, hold brake). Recently it'll shift into 4WD High from Auto but if I try to shift to 4WD Low, I don't hear it shift as I used to, and then I get the flashing 4WD H/Low lights every 3-5 minutes and flashes I think 3-5 times. I did notice though that it'll stay stuck in 4WD High I believe until I drive in reverse for a few feet. Disconnecting the battery will extinguish the flashing lights. No codes on OBD II sensor checked. I'm thinking to change out the shift motor and speed sensors on the transaxle box as a start. I don't feel or think there is any internal damage to the transaxle box. I did however last fall during a hunt drive a lot of miles on tough trails in 4WD Low and needed too but never gave me any problems till now. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have codes your scanner won’t read. There is no shifting into 4wd high. Your ‘transaxle box’ is a transfer case.

Sorry, let me clarify. I have no codes that my OBD II sensor would read, IOW, no codes thrown. I have read that the flashing 4wd H/L lights flash as to warn as if a code, if that makes sense. Also I thought switching from "AUTO" to 4wd high is shifting. I guess I don't ever here the box shift as if when going into 4wd low. But 4wd High does seem to work as when on dirt, I can feel the front wheels get traction compared to when in AUTO. And right! My bad, transfer case would be the proper term I should use. Anyhow, any ideas on where to start trouble shooting?

Thanks,
RB

Did you try and read them before pulling the battery cable? Most scanners won’t read ABS, transmission codes, or things from the 4wd. What kind of scanner do you have?

Shifting from auto to high simply locks the clutch in the transfer case. I’d pull the motor and shift the transfer case with a wrench and test if low works, and if you get the flashing codes. It’s possible it just needs a good clean and a light coat of grease.

I'd have to go dig in my tool box for the code reader. It's a good one. lol! I've actually been able to read other codes with it for some emission failures in the past on this Explorer, later fixed them. Was your typical Bank 1, Bank 2, increased emissions code P071, etc. Was an O2 sensor and vacuum leak I fixed. Anyway, I did plug it in first to make sure I could read any hidden codes prior to disconnecting the battery. Pretty confident their are none at this point. Ok so going to 4-high only locks the clutch, got it. I will fallow your instructions when I can finally get a day to work on it. Thank pal.

RB

By the way, I'll look up a few youtube video's but once I remove the shift motor, I can simply push and engage the 4-Low with a wrench? Should the vehicle be weight of wheels on jacks or in neutral? How exactly would I go about doing that to shift it with a wrench?

Cheers,

I’ve never done it myself, but I know there are members who have. There is a Cam that turns with stops, as I understand it. In the 4405 like you have, there should only be two positions, high and low.

Ah ok. Well, youtube is a great place to start!

Back