• Register Today It's free!

4WD vs. AWD

oceanworker

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport 4.0
I'm finally buying a new or late model X and still considering 4WD vs. AWD. I want performance and the off-roading I do now days is only fire trails and some highway travel in light snow. I don't have any experience w/ AWD and would like some opinions if anyone can spare the time. Would a V6 AWD have enough snap? Any maintenance or trouble problems w/ AWD vs. 4WD.
I'm sort of old school type who is still used to 4 on the floor, a low / high stick on the floor and for some reason can never drive an auto transmissions. I've test drove a few auto's and it doesn't feel good.
Thanx anyone with any time and opinions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First of all you cant get AWD in a V6, only V8's have AWD. If your just going to use it for light off-roading and snow driving I would say go with the AWD because you get a V8 for the performance you want and a better drivetrain all together.

I would agree, for mostly street and light off roading I would get the AWD V8. The V8 is almost bulletproof and has endless Mods available should you could to add them down the road. No pun intended. ;)

I don't know about 00,01, & 02 but the specs I just got for 03 says you can get an AWD in the V6. I haven't test drove this model but something tells me it won't have enough snap--- given the weight of the vehicle, V6 hp, not enough torque to the rear, etc. Any thoughts?

You can get the V8 with 4WD

For the 3rd generation Explorers, the best thing they did was to give you the option of 4WD with the 4.6L SOHC V-8. I don't see the point of AWD - period - but with the new Ex's you don't have to settle for a V-6 to get 4WD. Since the new Ex's are about 400 lb. heavier than the old ones, I wouldn't consider the V-6 (which is a great motor in the 2nd gen).

The folks mentioning the aftermarket support for the V-8 are referencing the 302/5L from the 2nd Gen Ex's, which are great tow vehicles but are useless offroad (not a knock, just a statement). The new 4.6L (new to Ex's) is a fine engine, but the only aftermarket stuff I've seen so far is for Mustangs, not Ex's. You don't need it - I drove a 2002 XLT and was *very* impressed with the ride, handling and power.

If you're running in snow much, you'll want to get larger-than-stock tires (16 in. rims mean slightly more $$ for replacements) and in serious snow you'll use 4Hi anyway. The automatic transfer case in the 4WD Ex's like my wife's are great in light snow - the clutch kicks in with any slip and you're good to go. We had the heaviest snow in 150 years 2 months after we got her truck, and her truck did great when everyone else was parked. The benefit is that you still get low range if anything really goes south.

The new Ex's are really neat.

Regards,
Brian in CA

Thanx Brian for the input. I was a liitle confused by your response tho. Are you saying that 4WD is the best way to go, especially if I decide to go w/ the 4.6 V8?
Right now, I dont see any advantage w/ the AWD over the 4WD being that they are the same price. Isn't it better to opt for the 4WD so I would have the option of a low gear if I needed it? What are the advantages of AWD? The dealer couldn't really expain it right.

Sorry 'bout that confusing reply - more

I didn't address the fundamental difference between AWD and 4WD. This isn't a Ford specific issue, but brings a couple of Ford-specifi elements into play.

AWD = All Wheel Drive, where the transfer case is permanently distributing torque to both the front and rear differentials at all times.

Torque biasing means that more or less power can be directed to the front or rear differentials depending on where the traction is. There is a differential in the transfer case that distributes the power to the differential with the least traction (to allow smooth turns) but with a traction device to limit the slip, so eventually both axles get power.

Old Toyota Landcruisers have a very cool feature that lets you push-button lock all 3 differentials - front, middle, and rear. I hear the new Mercedes G500 has that feature as well. Both the Toyota and Mercedes are true 4 wheel drives with lo-range, however.

In the case of the Explorer, there is no low range, clarifiying the distinction made between 4WD (traditional two-range transfer case) and AWD (both axles powered).

The single-speed transfer cases found in many of the car-based SUV's have this same limitation. Actually, many mid-size SUV's (e.g. Bravada) have this limitation.

The 4WD ControlTrac transfer case available on the Ex's, along with the 5-spd auto, are slick. The case uses a magnetic clutch, kind of like the AC compressor clutch, that's computer controlled. When the computer gets data from the ABS sensors that there's excessive wheelslip (snow, rain, whatever) front to rear, the clutch starts feeding power to the front differential.

This does an amazing job of simulating All Wheel Drive functionality without the weight and complexity of another diferential unit. It also allows an instant shift to 4-hi with a simple switch, which is *very* useful in snow. To me, snow (vs. rain) is where I would be really irritated with the AWD on the Explorer - no center differential lock.

Land Rover took their CDL off the 2002 Discos and people screamed so loudly they came out with a dealer installed option to get it back working ($350!). An AWD torque-biasing system (viscous coupling, whatever), allows a certain amount of slip front to rear (has to, otherwise your front tires would hop in a turn). It's kind of like the difference between a limited slip rear end and a selectable full locker. The lack of a solid connection front-to-rear in AWD is undesireable in my opinion.

With 4WD, locking the front and rear differentials through the case means you will have at least two wheels going the same speed through the snow. Hopefully your paved streets won't have snow deep enough to appreciate the distinction, but we play around in stuff like that all the time (we don't live in it, just visit).

For traditional low speed off-pavement use, it's got an electric servo motor to switch between hi-range and lo-range (just like a normal electric case). You'll hear a "chunk" when it goes into low, nothing to worry about.

One of the points made by Ford with the latest Ex is the upgrade in computing power, including a quicker-reacting transfer case.

The new Ex's have a much more sophisticated drivetrain and suspension; they have amazing amounts of room; they come standard with limited slip rear ends (big deal, but get the tow package anyway for the trans cooler); the great 4WD system and 5-spd auto are now available with the V8. There's even an off-road package (?? whatever) with skid plates etc. The only thing I'd have to change is the street tires, same as any other truck out there except for the H2 (BFG AT KO's are standard).

I am old school inclined myself; my Ranger has manual everything (including hubs) except for power brakes and an electric shift transfer case. I'm shopping the salvage yards for a manual case right now. My wife drives the Ex mostly, on or off road, and learned to drive on a 65 FJ-40 (WAY WAY manual old school agrarian) - she loves her Ex. We get past our automatic phobia by left-foot braking, and it is easier to drive in traffic with an auto.

Have fun,
Brian in CA

Thanx again Brian for your perfect synopsis of the "4WD vs. AWD" issue. Wonder why no Ford salesman I've seen could tell it like that? I hope others can use your post in any future search of the subject.

The awd drive in the x is a viscouse clutch not a differential. This means it uses fluid to differentiate between axles. It is the same thing as a torque converter. Which can multiply torque. I didn't think I would like the awd. I wanted the v8 so I had too. Now that I have it I love it. You don't have to do anything. Just hit the gas and go. Never had any problem getting where I was going in snow or mud. Since it can multiply torque on its own(because it is a viscouse clutch). This is the same thing you get when useing low gear. It can do it automatically and fast eliminating the need for a low gear. It works great.
Just the other day I drove into some mud at a hous eand drove right back out with no problem.
I hope this helps you with your question. Rember it is not the same as the older awd systems. We had a 79 dodge that had the old 203 tc in it. It did have a low rage and you could lock out the differential. Work great in the snow, it was an old plow truck. That is not what is in the x though. I do like the fact that you can get the partime in the new ones though.
The reason they didn't offer it was they didn't think it would hold the power of the 302. The tc out of the f150 wouldn't fit. That is why the came out with the awd.

p.s.

P,S. I herd from a guy that works for rauch ,that knows just about everything about ford trannies say,: that the new 5 speed auto is a ticking time bomb redy to blow. He said that it's all aluminum case and small inerds are way to small to hold the wieght of the x. Just thought I would add that.

still dont get it

I have a 97 sport with controltrac. Is the controlTrac always on, except for when you switch it to 4x4? Controltrac kicks in when the wheels start to slip when not in 4x4 right?
And how many of your wheels are spinning when this feature kicks in... if its all 4 wheels then wouldnt it be better to offroad with the switch on auto instead of 4wheel-hi? Because im pretty sure that when its in 4x4 only the rear driver and front passenger wheels are working. This is definately a disadvantage when wheelin...it seems like every time i get stuck its because the only 2 wheels with power are either sunk some kind of pit or off the ground. My other tires would have perfect traction if they were spinning, so i wouldnt have gotten stuck.
doesnt this totally defeat the purpose of 4x4?
So if all 4 wheels really do get power when the control trac kicks in then then i dont see a need to ever switch it to 4x4, ill just always leave it on "auto."

Or i could just be totally wrong....i dont know too much about the actual 4x4 systems, i just use them.
I would like to learn more so any info would help

Thx,
sean

The 4WD ControlTrac transfer case available on the Ex's, along with the 5-spd auto, are slick. The case uses a magnetic clutch, kind of like the AC compressor clutch, that's computer controlled. When the computer gets data from the ABS sensors that there's excessive wheelslip (snow, rain, whatever) front to rear, the clutch starts feeding power to the front differential.

The Control Trac uses sensors on the front and rear driveshafts; it does not use the ABS sensors to control the 4wd system.

The Control Trac uses a PWM (pulse width modulated) signal to turn on (and off) the transfer case clutch. Under normal conditions, it turns on the clutch about 4% (approx) of the time and sends 4% (approx) of the available torque to the front driveshaft. If the GEM (computer) senses that the rear driveshaft is turning faster than the front driveshaft (rear wheels are slipping) it increases the PWM signal (increased pulse width) to send more torque to the front wheels.

You can find more info in the Control Trac patent http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html Patent No. 5,485,894. Also the Ford Service Manual has a brief description of how it works.

To the comment above about the new Ex's being 400lbs heavier and needing the V8, I totally disagree. I'm driving a 96 XLT v6 OHV (160 hp) and yes this engine is sluggish. But my mom is driving a 2002 XLT w/ SOCH V6 and it has plenty of power. If you need the V8 power go for it but I can't stand seeing soccer mom's or commuters going for the V8 when it's a waste most of the time, uses extra gas and pollutes more.

Also, go with the 4WD over the AWD. The control trac works very well and its nice to have the extra selectability and 2wd operation most of the time. Also there are tips here for a mod to make it full time 2wd.

Jason

And how many of your wheels are spinning when this feature kicks in... if its all 4 wheels then wouldnt it be better to offroad with the switch on auto instead of 4wheel-hi? Because im pretty sure that when its in 4x4 only the rear driver and front pass
No setting of your control trac t-case will give you drive to all four wheels. You have a front and rear tire spinning because you have open diffs. I'd much rather wheel in high as apposed to auto. When wheeling I always try and be in low range. It's much easier on everything.

Originally posted by Mbrooks420
No setting of your control trac t-case will give you drive to all four wheels.

I thought 4LOW would drive all four wheels?

Nothing short of lockers front and rear and a locked transfer case will apply equal power to all four wheels.

I thought 4LOW would drive all four wheels?
4LOW locks up the TOD clutch which sends power to both axles. After it gets there it's up to the differential to sort out.

I see... thanks.:)

Back