• Register Today It's free!

4x4 Auto Engagement

2Fish

Reaction score
City, State
Coldwater, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS, 4x4, 4.0
My 03 XLS 4.0 has a distinct "clunk" noise when automatically shifting to 4x4.

The other day we had a light snow I did not engage 4x4 hi, when the wheels slipped and the 4x4 auto engaged there was a distinct clunk when it engaged. Also, it appeared to engage and disengage often.

When I press the 4x4 hi button, it is a smooth inaudible engagement that stays in until the auto button is pressed.

I have heard that 4x4 auto is a ramp up engagement and wondering if the noise I am hearing is normal or am I to expect a repair?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '04 does the same thing in auto 4x4. When taking off from a stop in the snow it clunks and bangs like something is really wrong. But every 3rd gen I have ever driven does that so I consider it "normal".

mine does that too - seems like it would have ripped something out by now

Mine too, don't like it at all. But its done it since new???

Mine did it too until I changed the fluid. At ~88,000 miles, the fluid that came out of it was like black tar. It was so bad that I took one suction gun's worth of fluid and flushed it straight thru before refilling it. A fresh drink of new Mercon V, and the difference is absolutely astounding! There's hardly any harshness or clunking anymore. Nice smooth engagement.

i'll have to get mine changed - i just don't think it could be good to have it shifting that violently especially at 16 degrees like it was today - i've been considering going to all synthetic fluids anyway -- any thoughts on that ?

i'll have to get mine changed - i just don't think it could be good to have it shifting that violently especially at 16 degrees like it was today - i've been considering going to all synthetic fluids anyway -- any thoughts on that ?

Mercon V is a synthetic fluid, and the recommended fluid for this transfer case. It's something you can easily do yourself. Pull the drain plug and let the old fluid drain into a pan, then remove the fill plug (reinstall the drain plug) and add new fluid till it's level with the top of the filler hole. Shouldn't take more than about 15 minutes.

Back