• Register Today It's free!

4x4 conversion

Omen866

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Sport Trac XLT
what do yall'l think, is it worth converting a 2wd to a 4wd? and how much does it cost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is it worth converting a 2wd to a 4wd? and how much does it cost?

No. You're looking ballpark at $3000 in parts (used) plus labor unless you can do it yourself, wiring and switching for the electric t-case, etc. Just trade it on a 4wd.

I don't think it would cost $3000, if you find that parts you need in the right places.

But off the top of my head, here is the parts that you need.

2 - 4wd Spindles. Make sure you get the 2001 to 2005 Sport or Sport Trac spindles. If you got spindles from a regular Explorer you would also need the brake rotors from the regular Explorer.
2 - 4wd Hubs
2 - CV Axles
1 - Front Axle with matching gear ratio to your rear axle.
1 - Front Driveshaft
1 - Rear Driveshaft
1 - Transfercase skidplate
1 - Transfercase. Preferrably a manual 1354 with linkage. If you get the electric 1354, then that complicates things. With the electric one, you will need a GEM module and switch and maybe some other stuff.

And the tailhousing on the transmission would need changing. A transmission shop would need to do that.

You can do it if you are up to the task. Kris Guilbeaus here in Texas has never bought a 4wd Explorer. He's converted several 2wd Explorers to 4wd's. All those were 1st gens, but the principle is the same on the 2nd gens.

There's a vendor on here that is a junkyard in Kansas that specializes in Explorers. ped5stang is their username here. You could price out all those parts from them.

ok, thx yall

one more quick question....whats the biggest size tires (BFG) that i can fit on a stock height sport trac?

4x4 explorer sport trac

I've pondered on the thought converting my sport track I have a question is can you use ranger transmission, transfer case rear ends if you can be easier to get the parts

If i were to convert a 2wd to a 4wd id go for a solid axile swap for a D44. But you know thats of course fueled by my hate for IFS though.

+1. For the trouble and money involved, you might as well go solid axle.

Yeah in all honesty I think i've gone through the figures before and I think it's cheaper if you can just find another truck. I've heard of a lot of problems that you can run into when doing a conversion.

Back