4x4 does not work | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 does not work

i have a '93 XLT and when i engage the 4x4, it engages fine, but when i disengage it, sometimes it doesn't unlock and i have to drive, reverse, drive, move up 5 feet, reverse, and just keep fooling around with it until it finally disengages, it's annoying as hell, but when i need it, it works great

and another little thing i've noticed, and it's rather annoying, is when i hit a good size bump in the road or a pothole, the 4x4 indicator light comes on next to the switch, not fully engaged, meaning the actual 4X4 display light does not come on, and i dont know if it's just me being paranoid but i watch my fuel go faster when this happens, idk if it's short in the electrical or anything but, if anyone else has this problem and has an idea of what it could be let me know thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi A1C, the CM is located in behind the Glove Box, it is a black Electronic boxy looking thing that measures about 4" x 5 1/4", it might even say 4X4CM on it. Should only have two Fasteners holding it in place with two Elecronic Plugs, plugged into it. Hope this helps.

Thanks RAR

Okay so I've been slacking here. Before I get one of these I really want to make sure this is what's wrong. Mine is a little different that most that have posted. Mine is stuck in 4wd. If I push the 4wd High button, the light comes on. If I push 4wd Low, the light comes on, If I push 4wd Auto, all lights go off, but it is still in 4wd High. I know this because I get all the popping and moaning, and tire skipping when making sharp corners. Does this sound like a control module, or shift motor issue?

Popping & Skipping??

Hi A1C,

The symptoms you are describing do not sound like the 4X4 CM, I just recently had the Transfer Case Rebuilt. The following are the symptoms mine had: 1. binding when turning, 1/2 to full turn, left or right. 2. Skipping off a dead stop, if pavement was wet, sound similar?? The Clutch Pack, Pump Assy, was shot in my Transfer Case. My Lights worked just like yours, my 4x4 seemed to work fine. I can't speak for the Shift Motor. I just know that now that I have had the T.C. rebuilt, all problems are gone. The replacement of my 4X4 CM was for a different reason, I'm assuming that it was a Cold Solder issue, on the Board. Hope this helps, or if anyone else has any ideas???
My recent replacements in the last few months: 1. 4x4 CM, 2. Transmissiion, 3. Transfer Case, I've had my 3.. The sad thing is the Truck is a beauty and has only 80,000 miles on it.

Complain To The N Highway Safety Administration

HELLO ALL :exp:
AFTER CHANGING 4 4X4CM WITH ALL DEFENDANT# I HAD ENOUGH I AM DOING WHAT ASOLARE123 HAS POSTED IN THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE WHICH I AM PASTING HERE
Since this issue seems like a safety issue (loss of 4 wheel drive) and the new control module does address the fact that most of these problems occur simply when the battery is disconnected, I have sent a complaint to the National Highway Safety Administration regarding Fords refusal to issue a recall for the control module. If anyone else is interested, they can do the same at the following URL: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Consumer.cfm

If enough people complain, just maybe they will launch an investigation. It won't do any of us who have already had to pay for this obvious engineering failure any good, but it might help others who haven't yet

Hi A1C,

The symptoms you are describing do not sound like the 4X4 CM, I just recently had the Transfer Case Rebuilt. The following are the symptoms mine had: 1. binding when turning, 1/2 to full turn, left or right. 2. Skipping off a dead stop, if pavement was wet, sound similar?? The Clutch Pack, Pump Assy, was shot in my Transfer Case. My Lights worked just like yours, my 4x4 seemed to work fine. I can't speak for the Shift Motor. I just know that now that I have had the T.C. rebuilt, all problems are gone. The replacement of my 4X4 CM was for a different reason, I'm assuming that it was a Cold Solder issue, on the Board. Hope this helps, or if anyone else has any ideas???
My recent replacements in the last few months: 1. 4x4 CM, 2. Transmissiion, 3. Transfer Case, I've had my 3.. The sad thing is the Truck is a beauty and has only 80,000 miles on it.

Hey thanks RAr. If you don't mind me asking you, about how much did that rebuild run you.

4x4 stuck

:confused:
HELLO:usa:
Yes my 4x4 is showing the 4x4 is on.
on the 4x4switch there is a very dim light while the car is off if i press the break the fuse blows up .When i turn the car on the low 4x4 will show a bright light on.As soon as i pressed on the brake to shift the car whether its on park,drive reverse, etc the brake fuse blows up. I checked all the rear lights and wires nothing is wrong with them but when i disconnect the 4x4 module everything runs smoothly but the 4x4 is still stuck because i can hear the grinding changed the 4x4 switch, brake sensor, 4 different modules with no luck.Someone said to see the sensor on the 4x4 which i could not find and someone else said the motor for th 4x4 and another person said its the speed sensor which i don't know where it is thy said its in the back axle which i didn't see.What puzzles me is when the module is disconnected there is no indication light on the 4X4 swich or no electrical short
.:
:salute:

Sometimes it helps to know someone

Hi A1C,

I was told that the Tansmission would run me around $4K, I paid $2K, knew the Tranny shop. The same guys did my TC and charged me $1400. Good Luck.

4X4 Not Working

Hi Guys,

Wow you guys all seem to have had/ have the same problem. We have a 2002 XLT and we love it but the 4x4 has packed up. Got it checked on my service and was told the 4x4 module is no more. And the best bit is $650 nz for the part and 4 hrs labour to fit about $380 nz all plus GST at 12.5% !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the Ford dealers are trying it on here in New Zealand. So from what you guys are saying is i can get the part from ford direct and fit it relatively easily with no programming just disconnect neg on battery and the module is behind the glove box ??

Thanks guys looks like it saves me taking out another mortgage !!!!

Hiya,
My explorer is is the same as yours however, here they want a mortgage for the part and fitting it !! I have just ordered the part at less than a quarter of the value of Ford NZ and told them so but they are adamant it has to be configured by PC !! dID YOU DO THIS WITH YOURS OR SIMPLY REPLACE ?? tHANKS FOR YOUR HELP... Steve in NZ

Steve NZ

Yep, many people including myself just swapped 'em out and all was good. Are you getting the new one shipped from here in the States or somewhere else?

From the states, The ford direct place. There isnt anywhere here except the rip off main dealers. Will be ordering tom had a quote of $168 US plus postage so thats all good.. Sucks that it happens to pretty much all 2002's .. Well fingers crossed as we live on the beach and need it to get the ski in and out !! kids gutted .. Thanks

This is the best post ever

This thread was so helpful. I replaced my module and all is good again. I ordered a new updated version of the 4x4 control module for a total of $121.50. at https://www.directfordparts.com the old part was 1L54-7H417-AC and the new one is 1L5Z-7E453-AC per the dealer I called. The dealer in my area wanted $202.91 +tax so $121.50 shipped is a real bargain.

Thank you all for the help,

02 Explorer 4x4 CM fail due to Battery disconnect - Know Common Problem!

I just want to rebump this thread for those unfortunate owners of Ford 2002 Explorers..

The information and communication in this thread is invaluable and should be made into a sticky titled something like: "2002 Explorer 4x4 Control Module (CM) Fail due to battery disconnect"

I reported this problem to Ford Customer Relations, and they said that there are no issued "Programs" .. i.e. recalls to either inform cutomers of this problem or offering compensation for a required CM replacement... FROM CHANGING oR DICONNECTING THE BATTERY! Wow! I guess we are all required to take our vehicles to a stealership to have our batteries replaced now! That's good old Ford for you...

Since Ford will remain unscrupulous and do nothing about this to communicate this 4x4 CM problem and compensate those unfortunate enough to have a 02 Explorer, here are some suggestions, as previously noted in this thread:

Call Direct Ford Parts (directfordparts.com) (this is actually Gaudin Ford located in Las Vegas, NV).
1-800-810-6596 and ask for the "internet sales department", NOT "parts" or "service". Provide them your:
1) VIN and
2) Old 4x4 Control Module (CM) part number

and they'll set you up with the correct replacement part number for your vehicle.. From all who have dealt with them, their service has been EXCELLENT... Should cost around $160 total for the part, including S&H.

The 4x4 Control module (CM) is a little black box located behind the glove box ~4" x 5 1/4" in dimension.. It has two electronic harness connections. To remove glove box, pull the sides in to let it open entirely. locate the black box, and remove 1 bolt from the underside of the black box, it then swings out and you can remove the 2 screws holding it on to the bracket, disconnect the harnesses and replace accordingly.

Good luck!

CM or Transfer case?

--'02 XLT-- How about this situation: my 4 low only flashes and will not actually engage 4 low, but the truck will periodically, (seems like it's only when it's been run for a while), put itself into 4 high and do the normal clunk and hop when turning tightly? 4x4CM?? Transfer case flipping out? I've replaced the 4x4 control module and no fix. The motor seems to be working fine, and the rear end was rebuilt and didn't fix the issue. ANY IDEAS? Do you think the CM was a bad replacement?

I own a 2002 Explorer and the 4WD Light flashes and it dosen't seem like it engages the four wheel drive.
I looked behind the glove box and found this number: 2L24-14W163BB is this the part that I need to replace?
Thanks

I own a 2002 Explorer and the 4WD Light flashes and it dosen't seem like it engages the four wheel drive.
I looked behind the glove box and found this number: 2L24-14W163BB is this the part that I need to replace?
Thanks

Hi, I saw your post on the other forum and was gonna send you over to this one. Glad you found it on your own, and welcome aboard.

The 4X4 Control Module is black plastic about 4" square by 3/4" thick with 2 electrical connectors on one end. It is clearly labeled 4X4CM. The guys at silverstatefordparts.com (formerly directfordparts) will get you the right replacement module using your VIN.

Poster #94 above did a good job of summarizing this topic. Especially pay attention to disconnecting your battery before you start the replacement when you get a new module, and the old one comes out easily by removing the one screw that comes up from the bottom at the front. Let us know if you need any more info.

:thumbsup: Just letting you know the new module worked like a charm. 15 minute install, only $155 from millenniumford in Burien, WA on the internet. No additional settings needed.

My challenge was 4x4 light blinked 3, 4 7 and 10 times at random when driving. Load kerchunk noise on low speed turns. Back wheels almost skipped at low speeds. Battery lost charge after a week or so, replaced it but it still drained everynight. Put new part in three days ago and it fixed everything:)

I spoke to a parts sales rep. at millennium and was quoted $250. What is their internet address that you ordered through? He told me it is y2kfordparts.com but when i go there it is a web site for more searches. Can you help.

Regards.
Chio - Shackmon@hotmail.com

'02 Ex EB, recently purchased. 4x4 not working, no lights, nothing. Fuses OK. So I find this thread, and sure enough, there is a new battery in this thing, sticker says was repalced in Oct '07. So its gotta be the 4x4cm, right?

Well after replacing, its still not working. Got the new module from ford-parts-direct.com.

Any ideas what to check next? The motor in the xfer case, right? How do I check it? What else could it be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My auto 4x4 just died about 2 months now. The module was replaced over a year ago. Friggin 4x4 blinked and truck was stuck in 4hi. I disconnected the module and been driving her like this since. No mileage gain for me though...lol.

Funking crap!

Back