4X4 HIGH flashes 8 times

scorpo8972

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mississauga, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
Hi my 4x4 high flashes 8 times on my 02 ex 4dr 4x4. I kept it in 4x4 Auto as I don't want to be in 4x4 all the time. Anyway, the 4x4 HIGH flashes 8 times every couple of minutes and in turns at low speed there is this thump thump thump like the transfer case is trying to engage. I can't find a clear answer anywhere so I thought I might ask on here. Also note if this helps: The ABS light has been illuminated since 3 years ago with one bad rear wheel speed sensor and just last year the other rear wheel speed sensor went bad. Not sure if it's related but I figure it might as it is somewhat part of the 4x4 system.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 4 hi was flashing while in auto and do that whop whop sound until i got 4 new tires.
One of the old ones was kind of new and the other 3 were almost down to the ware indicaters. It was also poping like trying to lock in 4wd.
After the new tires it don't do the poping or the whop whop, but the 4 hi light flashing and the antilock light is on.
Guess I'll take it to the shop one day this week. The mechanic may need some extra vacation money.

My 4 hi was flashing while in auto and do that whop whop sound until i got 4 new tires.
One of the old ones was kind of new and the other 3 were almost down to the ware indicaters. It was also poping like trying to lock in 4wd.
After the new tires it don't do the poping or the whop whop, but the 4 hi light flashing and the antilock light is on.
Guess I'll take it to the shop one day this week. The mechanic may need some extra vacation money.

My tires are equally leveled, when i had a spare on at gear 4 the truck would have this bump bump bump bump feeling to it and the cause was the spare tire being for the LIMITED model which is equipped with 17 inch rims. I had to replace the rear left after a crazy croatian fan slashed it randomly while at a red light costing me a new goodyear tire T_T. The thing is that i was having this problem since 1 year ago, the fluid in case was changed and developed a leak and that was fixed. Nothing seems to be the problem. I have been guessing it's either the oxygen sensor thats tightly dragging on it, bad 4x4 control module, ground wire on transfer case motor or the motor is due for replacement. It's frustrating cause i avoid all curvy roads, and tight turns.

The 4X4 light flashing on the dash means that there is an issue with 4X4 being engaged and will cannot go back to its normal operation. The thump noise that you hear is the transfer case being locked in 4 high mode where the transfer case is binding.
Many 2002s had the issue of the control module going bad. They updated the part for later 3rd gens.
I would check the module first.

The 4X4 light flashing on the dash means that there is an issue with 4X4 being engaged and will cannot go back to its normal operation. The thump noise that you hear is the transfer case being locked in 4 high mode where the transfer case is binding.
Many 2002s had the issue of the control module going bad. They updated the part for later 3rd gens.
I would check the module first.

Thanks, I tried it and what do you know 4x4 hi and 4x4 lo lights flashing and no thumping noise anymore. I have two 4x4 CM pulled from two wrecked explorers i will try those before ordering the part. Pretty pricey part at $200 on ebay. I don't want to even know how much from Part source.

Another question when you disconnect the 4x4 cm does it mean it's in RWD or the normal 75% rear to 25% front power distribution, I have noticed a sudden decrease in fuel consumption.

When you disconnect the 4X4CM, the vehicle goes into a mode where it will operate in 2 wheel drive. Look up the brown wire mod, as some members mod their Explorers to run in 2 wheel drive.

When my 4x4 lights were flashing it turned out to be a bad ground on the transfer case. Worth looking into.

Good luck getting it sorted!! :thumbsup:

I had same problem and pulled fuse to the transfer...everything ran great.
I then did the brown wire job to eliminate the auto 4x4

To hell with that auto crap, more headaches plus I am too old \ experienced for it.

To hell with that auto crap, more headaches plus I am too old \ experienced for it.

Hi. I am having the same problem as scorpo with my 04, but the CM is part of the PCM. Any chance I can pull a fuse on mine to eliminate auto 4x4 and I'm not sure what the brown wire job is, but this problem is becoming a big headache. Any help is appreciated.

Chris

Hi. I am having the same problem as scorpo with my 04, but the CM is part of the PCM. Any chance I can pull a fuse on mine to eliminate auto 4x4 and I'm not sure what the brown wire job is, but this problem is becoming a big headache. Any help is appreciated.

Chris

I pulled the 4x4 motor fuse under the hod until I had a chance to fix the issue. 30amp fuse if i remember correctly.

new hub fixed the problem completely. Thanks guys.

Nice job getting it sorted and thanks for the update. :biggthump

I would do it but I really want 4x4 in the winter.

Chris

You don't have a seperate 4x4 cm on your 2000? Must be why they the 4x4cm is seperate on the 3rd gens.

I fixed mine yesterday with a 1/2" square of black gaffa tape...Stuck it on the dash over the 4x4 high light and now I cant see it flashing anymore, easy as:D:D

When you disconnect the 4X4CM, the vehicle goes into a mode where it will operate in 2 wheel drive. Look up the brown wire mod, as some members mod their Explorers to run in 2 wheel drive.

I read the brown wire mod.

STOCK:

4X4 AUTO
4X4 HI
4X4 LO

Brown Wire Mod:

4X2 HI
4X2 LO

My hopes:

4X2 HI
4X4 HI
4X4 LO

Since I will lose my 4x4 completely I rather stay stock.

I read the brown wire mod.

STOCK:

4X4 AUTO
4X4 HI
4X4 LO

Brown Wire Mod:

4X2 HI
4X2 LO

My hopes:

4X2 HI
4X4 HI
4X4 LO

Since I will lose my 4x4 completely I rather stay stock.

The brown wire mod is actually for both 4X2 and 4X4.

With the switch in the ON position:
4X4 AUTO
4X4 HIGH
4X4 LOW

With the switch in the OFF position:
4X2 AUTO
4X2 HIGH
4X2 LOW

Basically to go from 4X2 (High/Auto) to 4X4 High, you would need to switch the BWM switch to the on position and then push the 4X4 High Button on the dash. An extra step, but you then have the option of 4X2.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The brown wire mod is actually for both 4X2 and 4X4.

With the switch in the ON position:
4X4 AUTO
4X4 HIGH
4X4 LOW

With the switch in the OFF position:
4X2 AUTO
4X2 HIGH
4X2 LOW

Basically to go from 4X2 (High/Auto) to 4X4 High, you would need to switch the BWM switch to the on position and then push the 4X4 High Button on the dash. An extra step, but you then have the option of 4X2.

Oh really. Do you have a link to the BWM for the third gens, I had it bookmarked but I lost it.

Back