4X4 Light Blinks with ABS Light On | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4X4 Light Blinks with ABS Light On

wkmincey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
I have read much about this issue and here is my low down. Maybe my experience will help someone else.

I had a front wheel bearing go out causing some horrible noise and screwed up 4X4 operation along with jerking in reverse. A bunch of bad juju to say the least. I bit the bullet and bought two new front bearing assemblies, break pads, and had the rotors turned. If you don't know, the bearing assemblies come with new ABS sensors installed. I installed all the parts myself as I take some pride in fixing my own stuff. When all the work was finished, the stupid ABS light was still on and the 4X4 light blinking. After reading some posts, I decided to take a shot in the dark and replace the rear ABS sensor. That didn't fix it. I had a scan done by a friend and it pulled a RF Sensor Signal code. Sorry, I don't remember the code number. I had the better of the two old bearing assemblies laying around and I pulled the ABS sensor out of it and put it into the new bearing that I had installed on the right hand side. Within ten feet the ABS light was out and no blinking of the 4X4 light. It was really like magic. I almost replaced the 4X4 module and I am sure glad I didn't.

The moral of my story is to be on the safe side and get the ABS system scanned so you don't throw money away on parts you don't need. And also, new parts can be bad too. I didn't think about this early enough myself.

BTW this was on a 2004 Explorer 4.0 with 68k miles

Kyle

Thanks for the report Kyle. Good job. :thumbsup:

Back