• Register Today It's free!

4x4 lights on, but no 4x4

91explorer1009

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
I was driving home tonight, and the radio shut off and died. Then the 4x4 and low range lights come on both at the push button switch and the dash. But the 4 wheel does not engage. What is weird it the dash lights 4x4 and low, are dim when I am driving, but when I hit the brakes the lights get very bright. I know becuse I took the panel off and the lights are bright without the cover. When I push the push button switch all the 4x4 lights go off for 2 seconds exactly, then they all come right back on again. No computer click in the back like normal, no real 4x4 engaging. I am really puzzled and mad, because I have never had a problem with my 4x4 and out of the blue this. Has anyone else ever experienced this, where the lights are constanly on but no 4x4, and when you hit the brakes the lights on the dash that say 4x4 and low, glow brighter the harder you step on the brakes??? Very weird. I am driving on a semi long trip and am now questioning whether or not to take it now. But again the 4 wheel is not on just the lights. And I can not get the four wheel to engage, even in neutral stopped, Nothing. By the way it is a 91 ford ex. sport. Please Help...Thank You. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I needed a Shift Motor in mine, and it acted real weird kinda like that. The lights in the dash that said 4X4 and 4X4 Low would be real dim. Maybe you should look into the rebuild thread of that shift motor. I hope your luckier than I, I had to buy a new motor because mine was to far gone for a rebuild. Best $175 I have spent on my truck ever.

Bump...anyone?? The lights are still on, any reason this would happen as I am driving, and the lights to come on?? Why would the 4x4 and low range lights be "attatched" to the brakes? Why do they get brighter the harder I step on the gas? Has this ever happened to anyone.

Have you looked up the shift motor re-build thread yet? I Bet that will fix the 4X4 light problem. Even though it is strange that the lights change when you press the brake pedal.

Thanks for the quick replies. I am looking into the rebuild threads and everything. I am working on it, I was more or less trying to see if this situation has ever happened before with the brakes controlling the lights. Thanks again

Are you having any other electrical glitches? My '91 Navajo likes to corrode the pos battery post and then the volt gauge starts dancing around. My '89 Ranger did some strange things electrically that turned out to be a weak battery. Also check all the grounds to the battery and chassis. If you have a weak (corroded) path for the elecricity to flow through, then you step on the brake (closing a different circuit, providing a descent electrical current path), funky things can happen, electricity wise, anyway.

4x4 lights are on while in 2h

yeah I am going through the same exact thing to the "T" thought I was alone
have not ran across any post like this yet and the help is limited and always seems to point torwards the shift motor. I went ahead and rebuilt mine (good post by the way "4X4 Shift Motor Rebuild") and the dang lights still come on and Ex is still engaged in 2h, Update On my way to Mc D"s I pulled into the car wash cause it was raining to see if my front shaft was spinning as my trans sounded a bit whinny, my wife pulled forwared a little as I bent under to see the shaft "and it was not spinning," and when we pulled out the lights suddenly came of. don't know , it was a few hours after I had re-mounted the shift motor without sucess I don't know if it properly I have not hit the 4x4 button yet, kinda want to see the lights of for a little while just in case, but I will post my results later

update

well my dang 4x4 lights are both on again, I went out this morning to check it out and sure enough their on :mad: when they seem to come on brighter is when the break is pressed and lighter as the breaks are depressed, I do hear a click from one of the relays in the rear when I hit the break pedal, next to the rear win/sheild wash container., there are three relays next to each other, does anyone know what they are controlling?

they do appear to be heading torwards the lights and wiper motor but I am not sure if this is correct . could any of these control any 4x4 functions ?

91explorer1009 said:
Why do they get brighter the harder I step on the gas?

Have you checked your ground straps. Frame to body etc...

where might these g-straps be found? and what have they to do with the breaks or 4x4?

You're gonna have to download the cd with the wiring diagrams and troubleshooting steps from fordcds.com. Go through your harness in the wheelwell with a multimeter and make sure that everything is within spec according to the shop manual

Mine does the same thing, I replaced the "**** motor" and still does the same thing.. I checked the fuses under the dash, it was good. The one place I neglace was the fuse in the "engine" compartment! I checked that and found that one of the fuse to the 4wd system was blowned, replaced and it work fine. I hope you are not going out buying stuffs you do not need. Mine was a 50 cents fix and have an extra "shift motor".

good luck
Ranger Al
:thumbsup:

Back