• Register Today It's free!

4x4 lo/hi lights flashing

Mr Mr

Reaction score
City, State
Brisbane Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98
Hi I have a '98 Explorer manual, the 4x4 lo/hi lights keep flashing and when I turn the switch into hi or lo 4x4 nothing seems to happen, dont think it going into 4x4.
Anybody got some advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The light is indicating a problem with your 4WD system (similiar to what the check engine does)

Anytime the light blinks, it will disable the system (which means no 4WD)

9/10 reseting the computer fixes this. You do this by unplugging the negative terminal on yoru car battery and let it sit for 20min.

I had the same issue, try tapping on the 4x4 motor attached to the transfercase see if that does anything. If not try diconnecting the battery wait about 15-20 minuts and reconnect. Also see the forums for rebuilding the motor if that doesnt solve the issue.

This was also happening to me. Turns out there was a loose wire going into the switch.

Might want to check the back of the switch just be sure.

The light is indicating a problem with your 4WD system (similiar to what the check engine does)

9/10 reseting the computer fixes this. You do this by unplugging the negative terminal on yoru car battery and let it sit for 20min.

I will disconnect the battery this afternoon after work and see if it makes any difference, thanks man!

Thanks will check for loose wires

Had that happen to me once soon after my transmission started having an asthma attack and I ended up having to put in a new transmission. :roll:

so for 1/10 what else could it be? if this dont correct the problem.

Back