• Register Today It's free!

4x4 Low Light Blinking

ignis

Reaction score
City, State
Gardner, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer. The 4x4 Low light blinks approx. 20 times when I press it. Can anyone tell me why and how to fix?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you are just trying to go to 4 low you need to put the truck in neutral and hold the brake pedal, then press the 4 low button, other wise the transfer case will not make the change

Wow, I feel stupid now!
You fixed it. Thanks!!!

I can press the 4x4 High button while doing 80 on the highway. I guess I just figured the computer would have figured it all out for me and done the transfer next time I was at a full stop.

I got some pretty significant clunks/shifting while shifting through gears in 4x4 low. Is that normal?

Also the light blinks 6 times before it stays on permanently. Is that normal?

I can press the 4x4 High button while doing 80 on the highway.

I wouldn't do that. 55 is pushing it.

I got some pretty significant clunks/shifting while shifting through gears in 4x4 low. Is that normal?

Nope. It is if you're in a situation that doesn't require it, though. If you're on dry pavement (any pavement for that matter), your 4x4 isn't going to be around too long.

If you are running 4 low on drive pavement then yes it probably will clunk and make funny noises, i would not run 4 low on drive pavement ever. the only need for 4 low that i could see is serious off roading or pushing through 15+ inches of snow. If you were off road or in snow and it was making noise i honestly couldnt tell you if it was normal or not. I would also not go over 25mph when in 4 low

Thanks for the info fellas. I bought this off my inlaws and am learning about all the features as they apparently didn't have a clear understanding themselves.

I also have this exact problem with my 2002 Explorer XLT 4x4. Any help? TIA I have a 2002 Ford Explorer. The 4x4 Low light blinks approx. 20 times when I press it. Can anyone tell me why and how to fix?

I have the exact same problem. Any solution yet??? Anybody??? 4x4 low button flashing 20 times 2002 Exploder XLT

I have the exact same problem. Any solution yet??? Anybody??? 4x4 low button flashing 20 times 2002 Exploder XLT
In order to shift into 4-low, you need to be in neutral and at a full stop. I strongly recommend reading through your manual (or downloading a PDF of it) and going through the operation of the various drive modes, and when to (and not to) use them.

That question was clearly answered in post #2 of this thread.

if you are just trying to go to 4 low you need to put the truck in neutral and hold the brake pedal, then press the 4 low button, other wise the transfer case will not make the change
My 2005 Explorer 4x4 t-case 4 low kept blinking so I went and followed you instructions and bigolly it worked
Thank you so much for that tidbit of info it saved me a lot of money and a trip to the dlr.

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer. The 4x4 Low light blinks approx. 20 times when I press it. Can anyone tell me why and how to fix?
I have a 1997 Explorer that had the same problem recently 21/2 months after I had a the drive shaft from the transfer case to the front differential seize and break one of the end connections. I had my mechanic check it out and ask him to service and drain the front differential and the transfer case while investigating the problem. The problem turned out to be the the rear driveshaft speed sensor was old and dirty with metal wear dust. This sensor is also magnetic which is what attracts the metal and that is what they said causes it to come on and flash 6-10 times and then go off and then 5 or 10 minutes later while driving do the same on and off blinking again. When they cleaned the sensor and completed the service all was good again with no flashing on and off. However since the sensor was 20 years old I had them get a new sensor to replace the old one. The cost of the sensor was $95.oo and labor $58.oo. in the last 6 weeks the flashing light has never come on. Problem solved.

Back