• Register Today It's free!

4X4 low light blinks won't engage

smallies

Reaction score
City, State
Salem, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT Explorer 4.6L
When I select the 4X4 low button the light flashes and never engages. The 4X4 high works fine. I recently had the right front wheel bearing replaced, would this have anything to do with it? Any thoughts?:scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you should add more info about vehicle, looking under your screen name people will assume this is about a 91 sport in the 2002-2005 section.

it may be the ground wire on the transfer case or possibly a bad 4x4 module.

Sorry, I need to update my info. It is a 2003 Explorer XLT, 4.6L engine.

Do you keep your foot on the brake pedal while you wait for it to shift? If you hit the 4x4 Low button but do not depress the brake pedal, it will blink for several seconds than give up.

Yes, my foot was on the brake.

In order to engage 4x4 Low you need to be in neutral, 4x4 High you can be in any gear!

Most times it is the simple things. I was not in neutral. Thanks, after work I will check this out. I am sure this was the problem. I feel stupid.

Most times it is the simple things. I was not in neutral. Thanks, after work I will check this out. I am sure this was the problem. I feel stupid.

Just curious, why do you want to use 4x4 low anyhow? 4x4 low should only be used when really bogged down(stuck) in mud or snow etc at very slow speeds, and once you free yourself, switch to 4x4 high for general snow or off road driving and higher speeds.

Not as stupid as me, I've been driving mine for 8 months and needed to read this to figure it out! One less thing to fix..

Just curious, why do you want to use 4x4 low anyhow? 4x4 low should only be used when really bogged down(stuck) in mud or snow etc at very slow speeds, and once you free yourself, switch to 4x4 high for general snow or off road driving and higher speeds.

Low is great for pulling other vehicles out of stuck situations and for pulling stumps. Also great for better control driving onto a set of ramps.

smallies there is a saying. The only stupid question is the question not asked. I can guarantee you most folks on this great forum have a story to tell. At 66 and auto repair and machine shop for 30 years it would take hours to list every "stupid thing I have done" :)

LOL, it's in the OWNERS MANUAL...
I know, I know, RTFM, right? I've just owned so many Fords now that if they do anything other than I expect them to I just assume there's a problem.. :p

Back