• Register Today It's free!

4x4 low range won't disengage

InNeed

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XL 5 speed 4x4
Today I was out doing some fishing and to get to the spot I had to go down a very steep and bumpy gravel road. When i was leaving I put my Explorer in 4x4 and started up the hill. I eventually had to put it in low range because of a wet spot on one of the steepest parts. When I got to the top of the hill I stopped and put the clutch in and hit the low range button to disengage it and it wouldn't go out. I tried going in reverse, forward, turning the car off, rocking the car back in forth with it in gear, etc and the 4x4 low range wouldn't disengage. I had to leave my car because I couldn't drive in on the highway in low range. Thankfully it is only about 20 minutes from my house. Does anyone know any tricks to getting the 4x4 low range to disengage. I figure it is a vacume problem. I don't think it is electrical because it engaged 5 minutes prior to that.
Thanks,
Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Need more info. Did the light for 4X4/Low Range stay on or go off? If it did, how do you know it was in low range?

Mine does the same, it just takes some time.

The 4x4 light and the low range light stayed on both on the switch and on the dash to the right of the steering wheel and the car was going 3 miles an hour at approximately 2500 RPM in first gear so I could tell it was in low range.

The brake has to be depressed to disengage 4Lo.

To get out!

What you could try just to get out of the spot is to disconnect the plug from the shift motor on the t-case and then plug 12 volt from the battery in between the yellow and orange wire of the plug. This will make the motor move(12 on orange goes one way and 12 on yellow the other, you have to try it) if it still work, it could be a case of dead motor? Remember to put the ground on the opposite wire that you put 12 on. After you get out, try DR. Bob page Dead Link Removed to solve your probleme or do a search on 4x4 not engaging or not working, there as been alot of these since the begining of winter(including me).

Back