My 4x4 Low range isn't working

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB V8
Ok, so I test my 4x4 to see if it still works, I never use it, & last time I checked it was in the summer & it worked fine. Well.... 4 High seems to work, the hubs engage, & disengauge fine(auto) Don't tell me to "upgrade" to manuals. I do not want to, or have a need to. So I try Low Range, & nothing. The low range light on the switch doesn't light up, & the indicator on the dash that says Low Range does not come on. The regular 4x4 light does work, & I know the 4x4 high works. Any suggestion as to a fix?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, since you don't use it much, are you sure you're engaging it properly? Truck myst be in neutral and brake must be engaged before it will kick in. I know it sounds dumb, but I had the same kind of issue with my X till I checked the manual and tried again. Takes a second or 2 for it to engage as well.

ok i wont tell you to go with the manual hubs since you know they work fine, but my 4x4 high worked just fine but had no 4-low, and wow as soon as i put the manual hubs 4-low came back to life and works everytime, check the site there is info on how to work on your electric shift motor on your transfer case but like i said might want to check your hubs and see if they really are good.

madmike:
If it was the Hubs, then I why can I use 4 high? If they were broken, I shouldn't be able to engage it at all.

dude I have no idea, all I know is that i was getting ready to buy a shifter motor for my t-case and ended up putting the manual hubs in first and it fixed the problem. I found a thread on here where someone else had the same situation only he took his to the dealer and they put manual hubs and fixed his. so sorry I dont know the mechanics of it but I'm happy as hell.:bounce:

I HATE CARS!!!!!!! Turned out I wasn't holding the clutch in to shift to 4 low. Now it works fine. That's 2 times I though I had major problems, & it turned out to be nothing :)

Back