• Register Today It's free!

4x4 stopped working

DrkPony

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware County, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mounty Premier AWD
I have manual hubs and I cleaned the contacts in the electric motor a few years ago. I had 4x4 on and i went on I-95 doing about 60-65, I came to a stop and then shut the 4x4 off. Later on in the day I couldn't get the 4x4 to come on. I hear it clicking in the back. Also, when I lock my hubs my left tire makes a luka-luka noise, and when I was in 4x4 if i hit the gas i heard a whining noise. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

You have the classic symptoms of needing to rebuild the shift motor... In many cases a plastic stop bumper attached to the geared position sensor deteriorates and allows the sensor to move slightly outside the units operational range. As such when you last turned off 4x4 the geared sensor moved past the stop bumper and now will not go into 4x4 since the computer cannot determine where the T-case selector shaft is and as a default does nothing.. The relays clicking in the back are in the 4x4 computer and indicated the dash switches and wiring are correct, but something is awry within the shift motor. Check out the Shift Motor Rebuild (Listed in Usefull threads forum) for lots of info and pics on making this free repair.

I a couple of rebuilds myself until I just broke down and bought a new motor!

Which wasn't cheap but I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Back