• Register Today It's free!

5.0 engine swap questions

bmlawson2003

Reaction score
City, State
Bowling Green Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ford explorer xlt
So in my quest to repair/replace my 4.0 sohc engine in my 2001 x dot 4x4 I have stumbled across a 2000 mountaineer with the 5.0 and all wheel drive. The yard its at said it would sell me the entire drivetrain for 385 bucks. Which has me considering a v8 swap now. So, aside from the engine, trans, transfer case, what else should I need for the swap? I'm pretty sure ill need the gem module, pcm, and possibly the steering column? Would it be more cost effective to have ford flash it so i can retain my key? Thanks!

this is what i grabbed for my swap. granted it was from a 98 truck to a 98 truck.

the shopping list is
trans (duh)
motor (double duh!)
hopefully a useless transfer case
drive shafts
rad/condenser ***update, 4L SOHC rad/condenser will work***
a/c lines
power steering lines, and cooler
motor harness, and wiring from alt to battery ***update, 4L underhood body harness will mate to 5L motor harness, however, oil gauge wire, and a/c wires need to be modified to work***
throttle cable
trans shifter cable (not sure if i will need it, but hey) ***update, 5r55e cable will work***
air filter box ***update 4L SOHC box, and sensor will work***
exhaust from manifolds to muffler, but not muffler (hope i can use my flowmaster. otherwise might get some suppertrapps)
fuel pump (not sure if needed but.....) ***update, 4L SOHC pump will work***
g.e.m.
p.a.t.s.
key ring around ignition cylinder, and ignition cylinder
locks including hatch lock
radio bezel
computer
cruise motor with cable

click on my registry for more info. you may also want to do a search on "rock trac". there is also some info there, as well as search member bluka on his truck "pickle"

Back