5.0 Explorer WOT Shift Points?

silver70

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer EB
Hi all. Quick Question:

What is the factory-set, D-range, RPM shift point for WOT acceleration in a 5.0 Explorer?

Phrased differently:

What RPM does a 5.0 Explorer shift at under WOT acceleration when left in the D/OD position (not manually shifting)?

Thanks,
Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to the Ford Workshop Manual

Shift MPH
1-2 35-42
2-3 64-72

They don't provide a shift pattern from 3-4, but hope this helps!

Around 4500+, never above 5k, depends in your momentum and if your going up Hill or down

Awesome. Thanks guys. I have an older AOD Bronco and am installing a 5.0 HO motor with '93 Cobra GT40 heads and a '98 Explorer cam. The AOD has the low RPM 4,200 governor, which is fine for the stock Bronco cam that falls flat on its face at ~4,400 RPM. However, the Explorer cam peaks out higher in the power band and I want a different governor to take advantage of that. My two options are a 4,500 RPM governor and a 4,900 RPM governor. Looks like the 4,500 RPM governor will be a good choice.

Thanks again,
Eric

With a stock cam and a bunch of mods my best ET at the track was achieved by shifting at 4700. I had come to find the combination of the weak stock valve springs and explorer cam are gutless after 5k. I played with shift points from 4500 to 5500 on the stock engine at the track back in the day and anything past 5300 the motor sounded like it was coming unglued from valve float. You can feel the drop in power drop for sure after 5k. I feel both 4500 and 4900 would work good but 4500 would be better for a near stock engine.

On a side note my current setup pulls hard to 5500rpm but I'm running a stage 1 comp cam with upgraded springs.

Thanks boomin. I was thinking of running a better cam, but for a DD/wheeling rig I feel the Explorer cam is great. The stock Bronco cam has a .379"/.395" lift and 185*/193* dur @ .050". The Explorer cam is also split pattern and specs out at .422"/.448" and 186*/197* dur @ .050". I'm tossing on some 1.7 factory Cobra roller rockers which will only increase my duration by 2-3* (lower duration is desirable for low-end TQ), but will bring the Explorer cam's lift-at-valve to around .448"/.476". Not great, but a little better. The '93 Cobra cam had a lift spec of .479"/.479". I'll be close to that, on the exhaust side, with the 1.7's and Explorer cam. I have first gen Lightning headers to handle the increased volume. For my build, I'm basically shooting for Cobra HP and Explorer TQ numbers.

Back