5.0 Headers - A new Idea

V8BoatBuilder

Transplanted Bostonian
Reaction score
City, State
East Brunswick, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer V8 4x4
Since FMS isn't making headers anymore, why can't us factory 5.0 guys use headers that the 4.0>5.0 conversion guys are using?

Aren't the frames of the 1st gens and 2nd gens the same? Engine positions?

I'm looking to build a custom exhaust, so the positions under the vehicle don't matter to me. I just need to get from the GT40P head outlets to under the vehicle. The rest is cake.

attachment.php

James Duff headers as purchased by Cheif34 for his swap: $259.00 out of the door and shipped(20.00 was for shipping)

What about other "conversion" headers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when did FMS stop making headers?

A few months... maybe half a year ago. They still make headers, just not for us.

They were a good deal, and fit well, but did not have the GT40p external EGR bung and were still restrictive.

The first gen and 2nd gens have different frames. I'll get some pics for you tomorrow of the clearance (or lack there of) I have with the headers and frame.

i see no possible way that those would work on a 2nd gen... however, im gonna go ahead and subscribe to this thread for the updates. :D

One would think someone could sell enough Xplorer 5.0 GT-40P headers to recoup their costs. With a vast number of stock exhaust manifold failures, and ford asking ~$400 per side for the privlidge of replacing them with super restictive OE units... I would pay $300-$350 right now for a set of half-ass decent headers, and I'm sure plenty of others would too.

Yeah i do agree the trying to find headers for the explorer "P" heads thing is getting frustrating. I think i will just disconnect my stock exhaust manifolds and just run the exhaust straight out the sides of my heads. ;) That shouldnt be restrictive at all. lol

Just kidding guys. I would never do that. Unless i had a Civic. I hear that is the new latest craze these days with the riceburners. :p

If anyone wants to fiddle...

I have a brand new pair of Duff headers that have been coated...stitting in the box $150+ shipping

I installed the duff headers on my '93 conversion...The FMS cleared my auto trans better.

How would cutting and welding affect the headers/coating?

I did not get the jet-coat thick coating. I had
what looks like powder coating done. The duff headers come painted black. You will need to
clean the cuts so you can get a good weld. I'd
just hit them with some black exhaust or grill
heat paint. Overall the coating is made to get
hot with exhaust. I do not believe welding
would subject the coating to anything its was
not designed for...I have the origianl duff
hardware.

The problem with the 95+ Explorers is the upper a-arm mounts. Check out my www for pictures of the custom headers I started and have not gotten back to in months. There is some really tight packaging on the driver's side. No off the shelf header will fit without serious modification.

I just bought two sets of Flowtech headers from Summit for $100 a set. This should give me plenty of bends to complete one set, but I will have more than enough time into them when done.

As for custom, I have checked with several places. Looking at $800 - 1000 and up.

I was lucky enough to find a guy on ebay that was selling brand new FMS Ford Explorer Headers for the 5.0,, SO I purchased them and put them in and fit in my 2000 V8 X!!!! I also found a guy thats willing to fabracate headers and just needs the old exhaust manifold ones to use as a tracer.... I may look into doing that since these headers are discontinued and may need another back up set or better set....take a look at my pics.....!!!

Originally posted by jdbadcat
take a look at my pics.....!!!
were? :D

Man badcat i am so jealous. The exhaust will be my biggest constriction once my charger is completely installed. Man it is going to be a pain to find some. I would pay a pretty decent amount for them too. I need them baaaaaaad!!!!!

I guess I am glad I payed $330 for my set since they aren't getting any easier to find! Seemed painful at the time but in the long run it was probably worth it. Real shame no aftermarket header manufacturer gives a $h!t about our trucks.

Headers wanted!

I have been looking (no seriously) for FMS headers or any other aftermarket 5.0 headers for a while. but now that the summer is here and I am actually going to do wok on my X, I really want them to have my full dual exhaust done (no more single flowmaster for me!) :) It would only make sense to have the headers done at the same time, with new high flow cats! If anyone has any ideas where FMS headers would be, I want them, as I'm sure most of us 5.0 guys do!

I wonder if we could get a thread started and people together to order or have a shop custom make less restrictive headers for us!?!? :D :eek:

If your interested, let's try to get something going!

I am working on a prototype set now, 1 5/8 long tube, that I might copy and make more if I do not have to many hours in them when done. The biggest draw back to most people will be having to replace the cat section of their exhaust.

Originally posted by edsel
I am working on a prototype set now, 1 5/8 long tube, that I might copy and make more if I do not have to many hours in them when done. The biggest draw back to most people will be having to replace the cat section of their exhaust.

Definately let me know about that and how i feels when you have it installed. I would be interested in that and I'm sure many others would be.

Me too. I will need to drop my cats here soon anyways.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been looking to replace my 94 X with a 5.0L second gen. Headers are one of the first things I had planned on. I found this place on the web (www.ssheaders.com) and emailed them to see if they could make me a set and here is their reply.

Hi Tim
We don't currently have plans to build headers for this vehicle. If we were to get about 30 people committed to the header project we could. It would have to be later this fall as we are working on the design of Tundra headers right now and have some other items already on our boards. We would have to find a local person with a vehicle that we could use to prototype them on.
Thanks
Betty

Back