• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Headers?

Big Poppa

Reaction score
City, State
Safety Harbor/ Gainesville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 V8 Limited
Has anyone used the SVO headers? Any feedback good or bad? Will these bolt up to the stock collectors/ pipes?
Also, '96 5.0 Explorers have the GT40 heads correct? Would any mustang headers work? Stock shorty headers?

Also, has anyone cut out their cats and exhaust heaters etc. on a V8?

Thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 1996 does have the GT40 heads.

I doubt that the mustang headers will work. You would have to test fit them to determine. Many mustang shops will let you take the headers to perform a test fit, but if you mess them up you bought them.

Several people have used the FMS (SVO) headers in conversions and they seem to work fine.

the stang headers will not fit. not even close. i have some of the SVO/FRPP/Motorsport headers in my garage, just havnt got around to gettin' em on. from the instuction sheet (and others on this board) yes they will "bolt on". if you get rid of the cats, you will have to get the O2 sensor "trickers" like the 'stang guys use, or else you will have a never-ending check engine light.

thanks guys
Let me know how difficult it was if you get them on and also power improvements etc.

Can anybody tell me the part number or if they came on Cobra's stock, which years?
Thanks

M-9430-E50 5.0l explorer headers stainless steel $174.99
M-9430-E51 5.0l explorer headers ceramic coated $224.99

Those are part numbers and prices from fordpartsnetwork.com

email torrie@fordpartsnetwork.com and he'll hook you up. I've had these headers for a few months now and I love them. They're totally worth the $.

section525
So these bolted right up to your stock exhaust?
Did you notice any loss in low end power?

Thanks for the help

Yes they bolt right up to the stock exhaust. The low-end power loss was minimal, and in my opinion, well worth the sacrifice.

section525
Do the headers by themselves give you a noticeable increase in mid-range and/or top-end or would I absolutely need a new cat back system?

I ask this because I'm not impressed with how my motor seems to run out of breath while the transmission seems to hold onto a gear way past the engine's power peak, even at less than full throttle. It tends to get a bit thrashy while waiting for the next gear, especially when trying to pass or get on the highway.

If the headers, by themselves, provide a good increase in top-end power, then at least there will be some acceleration while the engine is thrashing away waiting for the tranny to make up it's mind.

Thanks for any information.

PMF... I'm sure you'd see a noticable increase in power at higher RPMs without a cat-back system. My passing power has increased drastically! Its great.

If I were you.. I'd get a cat-back system anyway, but also get a Superchip (like I plan to do). It will change your shift points, tune your engine (I heard the 5.0s run too lean after installing headers) and make your X a whole lot faster.

Thanks for the info, section525, now I'll get serious about getting some parts. Ever since I got rid of my motorcycle, I've been craving acceleration.

Back