• Register Today It's free!

5.0 knock

xadriannn

Reaction score
City, State
Savannah, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
96v8xlt 4x4
knocks on start, goes away once i put in drive, or atleast quites down some and the other half of th drowned out, thinking it might be a bad rod, or bearing, or timing chain,

Keep in mind that it goes away once in Drive, and come back with high rpms, kindas like somthin spinning really fast then lingering for a few revs once ive taken my foot off the gas...

oil?

timing chain??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had the same thing with my 98 5.0 Explorer....would knock on startup for a second or two then quiet until on highway. If I step on the gas and hit passing gear it would be okay until it revs up to the point it has no load then a noticeable rattling. As soon as it upshifts, brings RPMs down, then quiet again. Brought it to the Ford dealer, they say it is normal for 5.0 v8s to do this when they get higher mileage on them. :crazy: I don't buy that!! I think what your thinking, bad main bearing. One other thing I noticed is that on startup the oil pressure is not there until the knock goes away, which leads me to beleive that it could be a bad bearing, or possibly the oil pump loses its prime when the engine is shut off. Either way not a great scenario service wise.

I no longer have this Explorer...Traded it in "as is" for an '04 Eddie Bauer Explorer...Love it so far!:D

Is it a knock or a tick? Mine (with this cold weather anyway) just started to tick under load and that I know is common if not normal at this point. Once it down shifts it gets nice, quiet, and bassy.

Its a knock, im getting over my denial, i assumed timing chain, but i suppose it is a rod problem...

I dont know, ill write back tomorrow.

=[

wheel bearing wheel hub is giving in toooo, sucks, i have to drive a good bit in a few weeks to get to atlanta.

hey kids
if you have a knock it could be one of several things such as a valve train issue, or a connecting rod.........in general a spun bearing my give you similar symptoms however it will not give you a definitive knocking sound ...........most likely it's a time set issue with the gears eating down or the timing chain stretching out which is not uncommon at all with higher mileage motors. either way if it's an internal issue, buy yourself a rebuild kit and rip it apart, i think the 302 is one of the few motors worth this effort

ok

and i have a 1996 5.0 with 100000 on it now and it sometimes gives me a tick and some times it dosnt whats with that

Back