5.0 Mods | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Mods

Well a few months ago I acquired my buddies 96 5.0 Explorer 2wd.
Take a look...this pic is before I pulled the roof racks off. I have also bought a Windjammer respoiler to try since we can't get the good Saleen spoilers.
Explorer Bullitt
(If you look at the other pics on this website, you'll see my other Explorer that I had and one of my trucks that I had.)

I have had a couple of Mustangs and Lightnings in years past, but it has been a while since I have read up on this stuff. So I am interested in learning something about these engines and what we can do to them. I understand if I do something radical like a cam change, it's time for a chip. What I am interested in is what I can do before I reach that point such as throttle bodies, MAF's and such. The only engine upgrade it has right now is Ford Motorsport headers and I did the TPS mod and adjusted to .99. What throttle bodies work on it...mustang throttle bodies or what? What other mods have been the most useful? What about a electric fan from a Mark VIII Lincoln?

IN2FORD
Barry

No aftermarket throttle bodies for it. Unless you do some drastic changes, it works pretty good. One of the first things I'd do is a chip. Go with Bama Chips, they're a vendor on the board. Do you have exhaust yet? Air intake? Do you plan on a cam swap?

It currently has a Gen II Lightning muffler that is a dual in and dual out, but I have a Magnaflow universal X-pipe and Welded Magnaflow mufflers for it, just not installed. I spoke with Doug at Bamachips and he seems to be pretty smart on the 5.0 Explorer's so he is the definite choice. I have thought about a cam change, but from what I am reading I need to stay away from the E303 which is what I had planned. Now I am thinking about the Steeda or Trickflow stage one cam. I just finished building a house so funds are low right now. That is why I was asking about the more simpler upgrades and then maybe this spring move into the cam swap and stuff. Any other ideas?

Back