5.0 Pony convert, new to Explorers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Pony convert, new to Explorers

5.0Xover

Reaction score
City, State
SD, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
None yet!!
Hey everybody, new guy here. I used to have a 400 hp Foxbody Mustang, but some drunk b**** totalled it. What's worse, she didn't have insurance and I didn't have uninsured motorist, So I'm left to parting the car out to get any money out of it.
Anyways, I bought a '91 XL 4X4 4.0 V6, and I'm loving the new experience. I'll always love and miss my car, especially now all the little riced out civics cut me off. It was nice when I was in the Mustang they wouldn't even pull up next to you.
Well, my biggest question is, is there a way I can put the 302 from the Mustang into the Explorer? The Explorer isn't slow, but the comparison of power is burning my ass. Any insight would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to X-land. The conversion would be quite difficult but possible; the Mustang 5.0 stock cam is different than our trucks which have a less aggressive tune; and obviously that much HP would need drivetrain upgrade and compensation. Lots of wiring and sensor work, PCM adaptation, and the like would be necessary since your X has the 4.0.

What about a Sport Trac??? I have done 3 5.0 Ranger conversions. An '88, '91 and '92. The '91 is my daily driver. It is great, but I am wanting more passenger room. I would like a Sport Trac but only with the ability of putting a V8 in there.

I guess I need to find out what the different between a Ranger and a ST. It took my awhile to figure out what an ST was here. :) I am extremely new here.

http://www.therangerstation.com/V8Conversions.html

that is an awesome thread explaining how to do a 5.0 swap into a first generation explorer/ranger. good luck man! i say go for it!

oh, and the difference between a sport trac and a ranger is um... well the sport trac is definitely built on an explorer frame, and has explorer running gear, suspension, ETC. I am not sure how similar the newer explorers and rangers are mechanically, but i know the frames are pretty different between the two models.

remember this ttbit, you CAN put a v8 in ANYTHING, with enough motivation ;)

Thanks. Even the wife is not against such a project at this time. :) I guess if they put a 302 in an Explorer up to '99, I just need to know if they made major changes to the frame after that. If they didn't, it must be very do-able. They never put one in a Ranger, but looking at one after everything is done, you wonder why they didn't! I get better gas mileage than I did with the 4 cyl.

In any 1st gen Explorer, a body lift is a must. The heater box is the bad guy in this. They started the 5.0 in '96. The front section of the frame was redesigned in '95 with Independant suspension and redesigned engine compartment. Therefore can house the 5.0 when the proper shoehorn is used ;). I would also have to say that Chief has the best writeup on here. But Savage Wols has also done a beautiful job of squeezing it in. I've seen it in person, and wow is it a tight fit! I would start by talking to them.

ttbit said:
Thanks. Even the wife is not against such a project at this time. :) I guess if they put a 302 in an Explorer up to '99, I just need to know if they made major changes to the frame after that. If they didn't, it must be very do-able. They never put one in a Ranger, but looking at one after everything is done, you wonder why they didn't! I get better gas mileage than I did with the 4 cyl.
Well thair is a reson for the better gas milage the 5.0 has better fule feed design and theirs more power to get your truck up to speed meaning less efert. That was my thought I ran it by my dad and he told me way and I think it was what I stated buy I actualy can't remember lol sorry its from lack of sleep :D

I suffer from ensomnia :eek: yawn. Please forgive any speeling erors and if I sound incohairent.

performancenut said:
Welcome to X-land. The conversion would be quite difficult but possible; the Mustang 5.0 stock cam is different than our trucks which have a less aggressive tune; and obviously that much HP would need drivetrain upgrade and compensation. Lots of wiring and sensor work, PCM adaptation, and the like would be necessary since your X has the 4.0.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but can a RWD tranny be used as a 4X4 by throwing a transfer case on it, or is it a lot of fabrication, or is it impossible? I busted my second gear synchro in the Mustang, and I had to buy a TKO (well, I didn't HAVE to, but you get the point), and that would be awesome to be able to use it in the Explorer. Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I know almost everything about Mustangs, and almost nothing about Explorers.

5.0Xover said:
I know this is probably a stupid question, but can a RWD tranny be used as a 4X4 by throwing a transfer case on it, or is it a lot of fabrication, or is it impossible? I busted my second gear synchro in the Mustang, and I had to buy a TKO (well, I didn't HAVE to, but you get the point), and that would be awesome to be able to use it in the Explorer. Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I know almost everything about Mustangs, and almost nothing about Explorers.
Well you can't learn without asking questions :D Any way as the short answer is no no conflict :D

You need a 4wd trans, unless you want to run a 2wd only.

Mbrooks420 said:
You need a 4wd trans, unless you want to run a 2wd only.
HUH! :eek: Wow man that is not true:nono: Alls you nead is a transfer case on the any compatible transmison. The transfer case is the device that makes your front axel trun not just the trany if your get a transmison and it bolts on the transfer case and your reer driveline it will work as long as it bolts up to those then you'll have no problems:)

Just let me now where your getting the tray fron and out of and I help you out as in let me know if its new or used :D

I fully understand what a transfer case does. I assumed that the a4ld family 2wd and 4wd transmissions were different as I have seen them advertised as 2wd and 4wd transmissions.

Mbrooks420 said:
I fully understand what a transfer case does. I assumed that the a4ld family 2wd and 4wd transmissions were different as I have seen them advertised as 2wd and 4wd transmissions.

??? Oh I see no theirs no difeince. :D

There is a difference I do believe an easy way around it is to change the tail shaft. On a 2WD tranny, the ass end is ready for a drive shaft. A 4WD tranny has a plate and a splined shaft ready for a t-case.

[rant]And autotech, its guaranteed. Copy and paste that into your signature. And yes, we all know how tired you are. But I'm sure you have Word with spellchecker and can type the wrong in and it will correct it with no thought from you.[/rant]

I thought there was some difference.

IAmTodd said:
There is a difference I do believe an easy way around it is to change the tail shaft. On a 2WD tranny, the ass end is ready for a drive shaft. A 4WD tranny has a plate and a splined shaft ready for a t-case.

[rant]And autotech, its guaranteed. Copy and paste that into your signature. And yes, we all know how tired you are. But I'm sure you have Word with spellchecker and can type the wrong in and it will correct it with no thought from you.[/rant]

Well im not going to the grage to get a 50 pound book out :D

How about proof reading before posting?

Mbrooks420 said:
How about proof reading before posting?

Umm no i dont't have them at all I woudl fo used them by nwo.

YAWN :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Umm we are talking about the A4LD transmission right, with an extension housing that comes stock with most explorers unless modifyed?

Or are we talking about a C6, AOD , or the E4Od?
Thes transmissions are all made by Ford Motor Company and used in light trucks and vans.
This being, that we are talking about a light truck that generaly comes with an A4LD transmission.
Just remove the extension housing off your old transmission and bolt it on your new one if it was a A4LD transmission for a rear wheal drive or dose'nt have the extension housing.

Back