5.0 Starter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Starter

Reaction score
City, State
Springboro
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
Just wanted to confirm an issue with my 1997 Mountaineer 5.0. I have an intermittent no start condition where the relay on the fender liner will click, but nothing else. I cycle the key a couple of times and eventually it catches and starts normally. I believe this points to a bad solenoid on the starter and starter replacement will fix it. Am I missing something here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wanted to confirm an issue with my 1997 Mountaineer 5.0. I have an intermittent no start condition where the relay on the fender liner will click, but nothing else. I cycle the key a couple of times and eventually it catches and starts normally. I believe this points to a bad solenoid on the starter and starter replacement will fix it. Am I missing something here?
In order of probable cause,

1- Battery cable connections. Must be clean and bright.

2- Solenoid on starter motor itself, replacement of whole assembly fixes it. Or, solenoid alone may be replaced. Have starter tested first,

3- Fender-mounted starter solenoid (relay) may be not making contact to starter motor, despite clicking. May be checked by temporarily jumpering battery contact to starter cable with screwdriver. If starter unfailingly turns engine over, starter OK.

4- Ignition switch- least likely, may not be connecting 12 volts to PCM Relay intermittently.

Your starter is fine that's most likely going to be the fender mounted relay like imp said... Also suspect the battery might be weak.

usually this is just corrosion on all the connections, or at least that is step1.
Battery terminals to the start solenoid, solenoid to the startter...........especially the connections at the starter itself since they are under the truck and exposed to the elements and road salts

One that got me was the B+ to starter was LOOSE!!
It caused a similar condition as you stated.

It caused me embarrassment for misdiagnoses but, the client
was happy as well.... not paying me anything. I learned that day!

Back