5.5 in superlift W/out steering upgrades? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.5 in superlift W/out steering upgrades?

1993fordexplode

Reaction score
City, State
Littleton NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 sport 1993 xlt
has anyone run a 5.5 inch lift without upgrading the steering. I have this lift but cannot afford to upgarde the steering until summer so I have not installed it yet.
How bad would it be until then?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Many of us run with the stock steering set up. I've been doing so for over 2 years with the 5.5 superlift and 33 inch mud tires.
Do a search, there's been a few unhappy people with the quality of the Superlift steering components.
No matter which steering set up you use you should invest in a decent steering stabilizer, this will cut down the bump steer, mine was terrible untill I added my Superlift steering stabilizer.
Good luck, you'll be fine without the superlift steering.

Thanks I can go ahead and install my kit now. I was hoping to use my stock steering. How hard was the stabilizer to install?? Got any pics or your ride??

The steering install is relatively easy, it bolts onto the frame and the long tie rod.
Don't have any picture of my ride on line, just my avatar and maybe a few from the past Trcukhaven trips with the Explorers.

Just make sure you get a drop pitman arm and possibly a stabilizer and you'll be all set. I've also heard bad things about superrunner steering kits.

i run my stock steering setup i had the superrunner and i didnt like it... i got the exreme drop arm and i run 36" and i also run dual stabelizers.

Yup, I've got stock steering, also don't have a stabilizer. Bump steer is bad, but I think it's kind of fun. The steering wheel just kinds of bumps around but I never even come close to losing control of the vehicle.

Stock steering here as well, the bump before I got the stabilizer was bad at times, but like said above, never came close to losing control or anything.. The stabilizer helps alot...

Back