• Register Today It's free!

5.5" Superlift kit work....

4x4Hunter

Reaction score
City, State
Watertown, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Can those of you who have installed the 5.5" Superlift kit yourselves let me know what type of work was involved in doing the rear lift part. I have heard that there is some type of welding or torch work that needs to be done. I'm having a friend who has those tools help me with it, but I'd like an idea what i'm getting into before i start.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you use the kit all you need is muscles for the rear end. Maybe air tools if you have them. Its just some blocks you set on the axle to give you the spring over. So what you need to do is ubolt the rear axle slide it out from under the springs put the springs back over it with these blocks and set it down bolt it together and your ready to go. You can however weld new spring perches on which some people recomend for less noise. I can say I have never had any problems with noise on mine though. I would say I drive somewhat hard too.

you will need..

A grinder or torch to get the rivets off for the TTB drop brackets. If your also getting extended radius arms, there are 4 rivets you will have to remove. If you haven't already replaced the rivets where the RAB's are at, there are 4 rivets there too that have to be removed.

Also, it's about 2.5 days of work to put a complete Superlift 5.5" kit, with Superrunner steering & extended radius arms on.

Any other questions?

Tdavis.

Any chance of completing the work on the suspension with the help of a really good mechanic and his entire tool set? A friend of mine is a GM mechanic and will be helping me out. He's done SEVERAL lift kits.... I wasn't hoping for more than a full day.

Thanks.

tdavis,
Not much chance you could do the entire lift in one day. Took me 2 days with one helper, worked about 8 hours each day, but we never did this type of suspension work before.
Still, one day is pushing it unless you've done one before.
The rear axle only took about 2-3 hours but the front will take much longer.

I have installed two of these, one on my own and one on a Mazda thing. Both took about two days. I think it mostly depends on the ammount of problems you run into also, ie, rust, forgotten brake lines, etc...:)

The welding in the rear is a two minute job. The blocks that sit on your axle have two feet that sit in the top of the old spring perch. All you have to do is run about a half inch bead on the four cornes where the two meet to eliminate the possibility of the axle twisting under heavy torque. It is not a requirement, but a good idea. The easiest way to learn about the front is to call Superlift and have them fax or e-mail you a set of instructions. They did this for me and by the time my kit actually arrived I was very prepared.

If you have any other question, post them here and I am sure you will get more answers than you need.:)

Uhm.. I don't know how much of the Superlift kit you got. (ie, did you get *everything*, like the radius arms and steering?)

We did the rear in about 3-4 hours (stuck bolts - Nebraska winters combined with salt, and 5years of never been touched).

The front took close to 20 hrs of labor - that included:

Drop front end.
Remove old radius brackets.
Remove old radius arms.
Remove springs.
Remove sway bar.
Remove steering.
Remove ford drop brackets (tip - cut a slot across the rivet heads, heads peel right off with a air chisel. done in 2 minutes)
Install new drop brackets.
Install new radius brackets (includes drilling 2 new holes, grinding off 2 rivets on each side) (extended radius arms).
Fight to get new radius arms on TTB's.
Install TTB's.
Install springs.
Bolt up radius arms to brackets.
Pull steering box.
Replace pitman arm on steering box. (best done off vehicle).
Install steering box.
Install steering. Cuss at superlift, sent wrong drag links (appears to have been sent F150 parts)
Do a rough alignment.
Bleed Brakes.

Most of the work was spent breaking bolts. Ie, the spring studs was a royal pain - they was *tight*. It took less time to reassemble than tear down.

I'd give yourself atleast two days. I had Mac helping on mine - and he had already done this kit on his truck!

Oh, and spray every nut & bolt with wd40/breakfree lub, a few days before. Makes a world of difference on the rusted bolts.

im doing this lift on my daily driver, and was wondering.....can i do the back first....sit really really hight in the back. drive to work...then work like hell to get the front on in a weekend? or would there be any problems with the back being higher, other than looking goofy? thanx!!

Thats what I did. It looked funny, but it was effective

hey mac...do you have a pic of you bumber and tire carrier online? i'd kinda like to see how you did that too....did you modify it yourself, or have someone do it?

Originally posted by riffman
hey mac...do you have a pic of you bumber and tire carrier online? i'd kinda like to see how you did that too....did you modify it yourself, or have someone do it?
I don't have a tire carrier, YET. Tdavis has one and a few others. I was speaking of the rear lift and then the front.

I don't see why you cant do the rear first...But I do agree with everyone when they say, the biggest problem is rust...It took me 3 days to do my Sky jacker...I went into this project with not the correct tools..Such as no torch and a pathetic grinder....The rivits and rust are what will take the time...so make sure ya got a good supply of grinding disks.....Pete

i think you can have no problem getting it done in a day, if you know what your doing, have the tools and have done it before. i put on my bronco's lift w/ NO experiece, but the tools and got it done in a day. it would have only been half a day if some of the part weren't so stubburn and if we would have had an air chissel, for the rivets, to start w/. go for it man, i think you can go it.-russel

Thanks for the Posts guys...but I've sold the explorer for a cherokee... JUST KIDDING :) No seriously I'm holding off on the lift kits for more money so that I can afford rims and tires. aka, waiting to win the lotto

Thankx

Back