5.5 superlift kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.5 superlift kit

Reaction score
City, State
New Fairfield, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I'm planing to get a 5.5 superlift kit and I saw prices at like $599.00 and then I saw prices at like $729.00 for 4 inch kits. Is the 5.5" kit not include a lot of things nessasary for the lift?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Scott,
Welcome to a great site for the best vehicle! Anyway, from my knowledge, the 4" lift has new springs, which stay below the axle, and the 5.5" lift uses the old leaf springs and mounts them above the axle tube.
Im by far not an expert in this area, but I do know some information.

------------------
Nick
'93 XLT 4 Door 4x4
Bosch Plat+4's with SplitFire Dual Core wires and a
K&N Air Filter with a Modified Air Box

The 5.5" kit is cheaper, exactly because you re-use your rear springs. (converts from a Spring-Under-Axle (SUA) to a Spring-Over-Axle (SOA)).

4" kits either have add-a-leafs (rough ride) or new springs (sagging problems).

You should also look at getting the extended radius arms, and the Superrunner steering kit too. Both improve the ride/handling/steering of any 4"/5.5" lift.

------------------
Thomas Davis
93 Mazda Navajo/5.5" superlift, 33x12.5 BFG AT/KO
4.56 gears/lockright/auburn pro

I am experienced in puting in lift, 2 so far, and the 5.5 is the way to go. It will provid greater rear axle travel due to the flatter stock springs vice a more arched new spring of the 4" or 6" lift. If a lift is what you want, don't settle for less.

------------------
93XLT-5.5" Super Runner, Super Runner Steering, 1.5" Body lift,33x12.5,
Borla exhaust,KKM air filter, Warn HS9500i winch, Sony deck & 10 disk CD changer w/ 12" sub.

I belive the lift comes with the brake lines. I am pretty sure that most of us need the extended radius arms. The steering kit is also nice to have. I f you plan on going with larger tires with the lift you also want to think about larger gears aswell. Maybe 4:10 or 4:56. I would recomend the 4:56.
hope that helps

------------------
Scott Bauer
'91 Eddie Bauer

The extended radius arms and the steering kit come with the superrunner system, right? I found one site with just the steering system for $347, which is close to the difference between the superlift system and the superrunner system. I haven't seen anywhere that says that the brake lines come with the kit. If you know that they do for sure let me know before I buy an extra brake line (not that that would be a bad thing!)

------------------
Randall Dorn
Mudd*****@aol.com
91 EB 4x4 OHV 4.0L
Borla Exhaust and headers
Cobra R's with MT Baja
Belted Radials 31x11.5x17

Brake lines and shocks were extra with my Superlift superrunner kit.

I chose the steel braided from Skyjacker. The book was wrong (listed they would work, but they didn't without an adapter - which they finally sent after I yelled at them!)

Your best bet - call the place you want to order from, and verify over the phone. Get both a name, and have them fax you a quote.

------------------
Thomas Davis
93 Mazda Navajo/5.5" superlift, 33x12.5 BFG AT/KO
4.56 gears/lockright/auburn pro

So the things that I need to ask about when I call are if they include the following:

New brake lines
Steering linkage
Superrunner steering
Dropped pitman arm.
Extended Radius Arms
Shocks

Anything else:?

------------------
Randall Dorn
Mudd*****@aol.com
91 EB 4x4 OHV 4.0L
Cobra R's with MT Baja

Is the superrunner steering kit different than the parts that come with a superrunner suspension system? The price difference between the superlift kit and superrunner system seems to indicate that this is so, but all of the descriptions I have read say that the difference is simply longer radius arms. Anyone know for sure?

------------------
Randall Dorn
Mudd*****@aol.com
91 EB 4x4 OHV 4.0L
Cobra R's with MT Baja

When I bought the super runner kit a few years ago it consisted only of the drop brackets and longer radius arms. I also puchased the super runner steering seperate from the whole kit. Both made a huge differance in the way the truck performed on and off the road. Rocky Mountain Off-road in Colorado had the best prices at the time. Best of luck.

------------------
91 XLT W/5.5 SUPERLIFT
SUPER RUNNER STEERING
SUPER RUNNER RADIUS ARMS
HYPERTECH CHIP
FLOWMASTER
K&N
32x11.50'S

Back