5 speed trans questions

lonestar

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
lou,ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT, 02 XLS
I have recently been looking for a 4-door 5-speed explorer. One problem, their hard to find. Now the one I test drove had a very stiff clutch and signs a trouble shfting into gear while stopped. first thought was the slave cylinder, no big deal until I started to research and came acrros this forum. Now I find out all kinds of trans problems.
Now my simple questions. I read before they used both Ford and Mazda trans. Now I have found they once used Mitsubishi trans also in the Rangers up to 93. Having the same drivetrain, I guess the X's could also have had a Mitsubishi trans.

How can you tell the difference?
What are their track records? I know the autos suck.
Are thier any suggestions, other than not buying a X.
Which trans were used during what years?

Any reponse would be appreciated!!!

Just for reference
My father bought a 93 ranger 5-speed w/ manual transfer case and hubs and has had no trans problems. Maybe he'll let me use his trans, ha.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

91-92 had mistsu... 93-94 had mazdas

Originally posted by jimabena74
91-92 had mistsu... 93-94 had mazdas

are you sure jim?
if i have a mitsu, that means it takes gear oil. if it's a mazda, then ATF. is there any way to check and be sure? thanks

Are you sure the tranny problem is major...there is a top bushing on the shifter that can be fixed from above ..its known to go along with the plugs on the rear of the shifter tower

really, a 91-92 used mitsu. trannys? becuase i just ordered a rebuilt kit for a m5r1, which is a mazda right? and i have a 91 model.

Mitsus were intermixed with the Mazdas, although there were not many Mitsus used from my recollection.

My '91 Sport 4.0 has a Mazda 5 spd, not a Mitsu. I know this for a fact. In the driver door jam there is a sticker with codes on it for axle ratio, engine size, etc. The codes can be translated, I have done it before, don't recall on which website though. Anyone know where?

Here's my two cents worth :)

Our 94 Sport has the Mazda unit for a fact.

My 91 has a mitsu (early production).

No problem

I have a 94 4 door 5 speed and have not have any problem with it execpt the slave cylinder, the trans was hard to shift. Changed slave, clutch and plate (even if it was good, was already opened up so...), and changed fluid last year. I dont do EXTREME 4 wheeling, but I do tow with it and charge the beast many times.

how can you tell the difference of the two, there's no numbers on the tranny to tell you what they are. does the mitsu tranny have the 3 plugs on top, because mine has those plugs, so i'm thinking mines a mazda.

Back