1994 Explorer 5 speed Transmissions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Explorer 5 speed Transmissions

sched44

Reaction score
City, State
Hollowville, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
I'm looking at a 1994 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD with 128K on it. It's appears to have been well taken care of. I've heard that the 5 speed manual trans in these were troublesome. Is this true and and if so, what goes wrong with them? Are the automatics better? Which engine is considered the best? Thanks in advance for any information.

Sounds like a good truck to me. 94, being the last of the first gen, most problems were worked out. and NO the autos are not any better, they are far worse. The OHV 4.0L is your only choice in that model year. It's a fine engine and should last you a while if taken care of.

my 92 XLT has about 160K miles on the original 5 speed manual transmissions, and there are no problems.

The 5spds were fine as long as they didn't puke their fluid all over the place.... Rubber plugs on top of the tranny that dry, crack and fall off with old age. Replace them with metal caps and no more worries on that end.

Back