• Register Today It's free!

5L swap question

christopherjones

Reaction score
City, State
prince george, british columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xl
i just picked up a 96 4dr auto - but the engine bay is empty :)
i have also aqquired a 302/ auto trans transfercase and full wiring harness from a written off 1994 f150. i am under the assumption if the following please correct me if im wrong:
1) i need to go tparts store and buy motor mounts for 96 ex 5.0
2)i need to go buy rad for 96 ex 5.0
3) i need to buy ex manifolds from a local wrecker that are from the 5.0 litre

as far as inigrating the wiring, i am an electrician so that should be straight forwards with two exceptions: if the donor truck has no abs, my 96 wont have abs and if the donor truck hasnt got Airbags, then when im done mine wont have airbags, (so i should take them out so they dont deploy at random)
any engine accesores ie water pump alt and ac comp should still fit off the f150 donor motor? or will i have to get explorer ones.

i have searched for threads on here and rangerstation to do with v8 swaps on gen 2 units but have not found any real usefull information

(and i know the fullsize tcase will be a $%# to install but its worth it)

thanks in advance for any feedback.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorer accessories & PCM functions

I have no first hand experience but from what I have read on this forum you will need all of the Explorer accessories and mounts to make the engine fit (water pump, power steering pump, alternator, A/C compressor, belt tensioner, idler, etc.). I believe the heads on the 1994 F-150 are inferior to the Explorer 1996 heads resulting in less power (185 bhp vs 210 bhp). Since the 1996 Explorer was available with the 5.0L V8 you would have a much simpler installation staying with the Explorer engine, wiring and PCM. The airbags could save your life. They're worth keeping. The PCM is involved in anti-theft, transmission shift, engine speed control (A/C on/off, transmission engaged/disengaged), emissions control, EGR, fault diagnosis and warning, as well as fuel and transmission control. The F-150 PCM may not be compatible with the Explorer for these functions.

I don't remember the specifics but I know other forum members have tried to force fit an oversize transfer case and failed. I suggest you trying searching the forum using the specific transfer case number to see if its the one that others have been unable to fit.

I'm not worried about fitting the full-size evade. I will be taking "everything" from the donor truck that includes erg stuff and pollution control nonsense so it's more or less about motor fitment airbags are no good for offloading as phase 2 will be full width axles and an sas up front therefore abs will be gone too. I will be using the transmission from donor truck so it willate with the donor ECM. As far as heads go are the gt 40p the best head I can put on or is it the only one that will fit the engine bay. In stripping a 94 cougar I found that the airbags and abs were standalone from the engine wiring section

Airbags and SRS wiring is separate from all engine wiring management. But the intake upper and lower is different, and plumbing. And you will have issues for cross member location for trans and x-fer mounting. And the x-fer is going to be fitment issue also. May want to do some measuring before you go tackling this, anything and everything can be persuaded to work with creativity, but not researching and planning is a budget killer.

F150 PCM pinout

I found this 1992 F150 PCM pinout on the internet. The 1994 should be similar.
F-150wiringharnessecmpinout.gif

F-150wiringharnessecmpinout2.gif

It looks like there's very little PCM involvement with the rest of the vehicle. If you utilize the F150 engine and transmission wiring harness the electrical part should not be too difficult.

Do you have a 1996 Explorer wiring diagram? If not, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you one I found on the internet.

Good luck with that A4LD lol

It appeArs my donor transmission is an e4od not a 4r70w like first thought. I hope it will fit the same I can't find any information on the physical size differences

On a second note I have the wiring splice completed almost for the swap and EEC iv computer. It helps being an electrician I tell you

gear ratios

The early AODE transmission had the same gear ratios as the AOD

Early AODE:
1st: 2.40:1
2nd: 1.47:1
3rd: 1.00:1
4th: 0.67:1
Rev: 2.00:1

4R70W:
1st: 2.84 :1
2nd: 1.55 :1
3rd: 1.00 :1
4th: 0.70 :1
Rev: 2.23 :1

However, the F-150 AODE has the same ratios as the 4R70W so the shift points should not need adjustment unless the differential gearing is different.

Your transfer case will fit but you will have to make room for it along the frame rail. I run a bw1356 in mine and its a big sob.

It appeArs my donor transmission is an e4od not a 4r70w like first thought. I hope it will fit the same I can't find any information on the physical size differences

On a second note I have the wiring splice completed almost for the swap and EEC iv computer. It helps being an electrician I tell you

The E4OD is a big SOB. You might need to clearance the tunnel to stuff that in there.

Dont plan on using the truck intake manifold, your hood will never close. (unless you want to cut a big hole in it.

IDK how long the E4OD is, but if it pushes the T-case too far back you may have to swap in a 2 door gas tank. They pretty much bolt in, but they arent as long.

Personally, I would not swap the F-150 5L in for nothing. The Explorer 5L is the best 5L available for your truck. But if your dead set on this swap, I wish you all the luck with making it happen.

Options that are proven to work/fit are the manual trans and manual tcases out of the f-150.

The f-150 ZF manual is smaller and will fit better allowing the 4406 manual to work (with some tunnel mod) and still be able to keep the stock gas tank.

All the luck to you and your swap :thumbsup:

Ideally I would have liked the explorer 5l and 4r70 with the explorer computer but. The donor parts I found were mint low km and next to nothing in price. The other problem is around here 5l wrecked explorers are near impossible to find.
I'm aware I'll need to buy some different pieces to make it work but I'm starting with a clean block with no globs of oil leaking
As for hood woul I not need to carve it to mount a blower anyways?

Thank for the advice on 2dr gas tank that's genius. I thought I'd have to go with a rear tank like b2's and eliminate the side one altogether
I have bothe a manual 4406 and 2 1356's one of with is flanged with noslip yoke
I'm wondering though if. A np205 will fit. And have the front driveshaft clear bellhousing with the e4od

NP205 is pass side drop tho. Can it be clocked? Divorce it and clock it to the drivers drop maybe. Are you planning on any lift? A body lift will help with fitment issues, under the hood and over the trans & t-case.

Ideally I would have liked the explorer 5l and 4r70 with the explorer computer but. The donor parts I found were mint low km and next to nothing in price. The other problem is around here 5l wrecked explorers are near impossible to find.
I'm aware I'll need to buy some different pieces to make it work but I'm starting with a clean block with no globs of oil leaking
As for hood woul I not need to carve it to mount a blower anyways?

Thank for the advice on 2dr gas tank that's genius. I thought I'd have to go with a rear tank like b2's and eliminate the side one altogether
I have bothe a manual 4406 and 2 1356's one of with is flanged with noslip yoke
I'm wondering though if. A np205 will fit. And have the front driveshaft clear bellhousing with the e4od

Yes you would have to chop a big hole in the hood for a blower, but you have made no mention of a blower till now. A stock 5.0l truck harness and intake would be the last thing on my mind if I were planning a blown motor.

The 13-56 will fit with some frame mods. The one with the fixed flange rear is from a fullsize Bronco.

A NP205 will fit fine between the frame rails, but I think it will put the front driveshaft damn close to (if not in contact with) the E4OD.

has anyone know what the part number for the plate that bolts between the block and the mount?
cant seem to find it at a couple local places nor can i find it on summitracings site. and i dont really feel like building such a critical piece

our wreckers here suck, between 3 of them not one has a v8 explorer for donor parts.

Back