• Register Today It's free!

5R55E service

UK-EXPLORER

Reaction score
City, State
London
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
I have a 4.0 L 98 Explorer so think I have a 5R55E auto box.

I have the fluid pan off at the moment and am about to put on the new filter with extra long bolt.

I have decided not to fit a drain bolt to the pan.

The car is running fine but somewhere on this forum I read that I should re torque some bolts while the pan is off.

Please could someone post which bolts and what torque figures.

I have spent 3 hours on this site looking for the answer.

I found the easiest way to get the pan off was to remove the transfer case support, leaving a jack under the engine and transfer case. Don't even think about taking an 11 year old exhaust apart.

Thanks

James

hi there, lucky i found you here lol, why not come on over to the uk section with us, with regards to the torqueing of nuts i think your talking about the drive bands loacted on the left as if you are looking up at it next to the shift cable/shaft, two nuts sticking out, one does the overdrive band and the other 2nd gear band.

The car is running fine but somewhere on this forum I read that I should re torque some bolts while the pan is off.

Please could someone post which bolts and what torque figures.

You probably saw the suggestion to re torque the valve body bolts because they are known to work loose over time leading to valve body gaskets leaking.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-10-25 at 10.03.25 AM.png
    Screen shot 2009-10-25 at 10.03.25 AM.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 28,422
  • Screen shot 2009-10-25 at 10.05.19 AM.png
    Screen shot 2009-10-25 at 10.05.19 AM.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 813

Back