• Register Today It's free!

5r55e To A 5r55w Trans?

928SPORT

Reaction score
City, State
PAGE AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 SPORT
I have done a search and did not find anything on this, Dose anyone know if this is possible as a bolt in? The gear ratio's in the 5R55W would work really great for offroading. I have a 2001 sport and think that the 5R55W was used from 2002 up. Is it as strong as the 5R55E?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don;t want your post to go unanswered. Yet I cannot really speak with authority..... and thus am reluctant to answer because to do so would be more speculation than not.

I am DYING to get my hands on a 5R55W/S or N. I think a 5R55E frankentranny could be born!

So as for the differences, one needs to understant that the C-3 became and A4LD, became a 4R44, and then a stronger 4R55, then a 5R55E, which became the 5R55W, and then the 5R55S and N, which still are in production today (W,S and N.)

One major difference was the fact that the W,S and N have unitary cases.... no separate bellhousings. Bolt up problems ? maybe. Little leeway.

The computer setups I imagine will be the biggest problem in a swap.

Not suire this helps... but I am willing to bet a set of W guts "might" fit into an E case..... for me, that is the next area I want to inquire into.

ps. I will post a thread on my thoughts for tranny/transfer case projects for this winter, and ask what people want to see first and might support. ("Support" = eg. selling the virtually "new" 4R70W trans I am building in that Diary - which I did..... ) Another example.... a pre-sold "new" frankentranny, or if possible ... a 5R55E/W frantentranny ...helps the projects along the way monetarily....because I usually only hope to break even on the first one of a "diary" if i am lucky. And that is not including the time it takes to do a Diary.

Thanks for the input!

I don;t want your post to go unanswered. Yet I cannot really speak with authority..... and thus am reluctant to answer because to do so would be more speculation than not.

I am DYING to get my hands on a 5R55W/S or N. I think a 5R55E frankentranny could be born!

So as for the differences, one needs to understant that the C-3 became and A4LD, became a 4R44, and then a stronger 4R55, then a 5R55E, which became the 5R55W, and then the 5R55S and N, which still are in production today (W,S and N.)

One major difference was the fact that the W,S and N have unitary cases.... no separate bellhousings. Bolt up problems ? maybe. Little leeway.

The computer setups I imagine will be the biggest problem in a swap.

Not suire this helps... but I am willing to bet a set of W guts "might" fit into an E case..... for me, that is the next area I want to inquire into.

ps. I will post a thread on my thoughts for tranny/transfer case projects for this winter, and ask what people want to see first and might support. ("Support" = eg. selling the virtually "new" 4R70W trans I am building in that Diary - which I did..... ) Another example.... a pre-sold "new" frankentranny, or if possible ... a 5R55E/W frantentranny ...helps the projects along the way monetarily....because I usually only hope to break even on the first one of a "diary" if i am lucky. And that is not including the time it takes to do a Diary.

Thanks for getting back with me, If I can help on this in anyway just let me know, I can find a 5R55w trans for this project if needed.

A W (or an N) would be a great start!!! So I accept your offer. (grin)

subscription :D

I know this is an old post, but heres a possible idea for you Glacier. I have a 5r55e which even with vb rebuilds (x2) has major 2nd gear issue, no flashing O/D light though. Luckily not my daily driver but I do take it off roading about once every weekend. It drives fine just hates 2nd gear, (I run manual first off road and it does great).
My proposal is once my tranny does die (sooner than later), I could freight you my tranny and pay for the inerds of a 5r55(n,s,w) (which ever would have the lowest 1st gear) and you could make a franken tranny that would bolt up to my 99 exploder, I would of course pay for everything and compensate you. Could you give me costs of guts and time schedule, if I decided to do this I would spend all the money up front and get you everything you needed right away.I would really like it if my truck was down for no more than a month.

I can already tell you that only having done paper resarch (and with a W sitting in my garage to actually find out one of these days...) I am highly dubious that the W parts will fit into an E case.

Back