What are the differences in Pre/Post 3/4/02 5r55w trans? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are the differences in Pre/Post 3/4/02 5r55w trans?

whitestang04gt

Reaction score
City, State
Lowcountry, SC
Does anyone know what the main difference is in the pre 3/3/02 5r55w & post 3/4/02 5r55w transmissions are? I'm converting my AWD to 2wd in my 02 mounty, but everyone I talk to doesn't seem to know what the difference is?

OR Is this the date where they switched from 5r55w to 5r55s ?

Which is a better built trans W or S?

There appears to be no difference between the 5r55w and 5r55s at all except the gear ratios, the 5r55w is geared a bit lower if I remember right.

I do not think one is more reliable than the other because they appear to be internally the same. However the 5r55w does seem to cary all the negative publicity on early failures.

I am not familiar with AWD transfer cases, but I do think that you would have to take out the output shaft of your transmission and replace with a longer one if you will be taking your transfer case out. You will also have to find a long tail end for your transmission.

I know the 5r55w was in production from 2002-03, maybe even to '04

Can anyone else verify this?

There appears to be no difference between the 5r55w and 5r55s at all except the gear ratios, the 5r55w is geared a bit lower if I remember right.

I do not think one is more reliable than the other because they appear to be internally the same. However the 5r55w does seem to cary all the negative publicity on early failures.

I am not familiar with AWD transfer cases, but I do think that you would have to take out the output shaft of your transmission and replace with a longer one if you will be taking your transfer case out. You will also have to find a long tail end for your transmission.

I know the 5r55w was in production from 2002-03, maybe even to '04

Can anyone else verify this?

Yeah, the output shaft, tail housing & driveshaft parts..I think I may have just responded to your thread about converting to 4x4, I'm converting AWD to 2wd so I can do some dyno R&D.

Back