• Register Today It's free!

help with a 5r55w transmission

manneredchicken

Reaction score
City, State
Tecumseh Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Hello I have 2002 ford Explorer 4dr. 4.0 4x4 production dat 05/01 with the 5r55w is there anyway to swap it out with another transmission? I dont want to have the 5r55w in it becuase thwy are roo much of a hassle. Or what can I do to get ir going again? It used to drive in 3 and I have barely any reverse and the o/d light is flashing like crazy. But now it does nothing but slip. Unless I gas it really hard but even then it jusg creeps. I heard it was the bands or the solenoid pack or the servos. I cant find a used transmission for cheap and I really dont wanna spend 500 bucks or more for a tranny thats gonna do the same thing as this one does. Another question I heard that Jasper transmission fixed all of fords problems in that transmission is that true ? Or no? Anyways if someone could please help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Hello I have 2002 ford Explorer 4dr. 4.0 4x4 production dat 05/01 with the 5r55w is there anyway to swap it out with another transmission? I dont want to have the 5r55w in it becuase thwy are roo much of a hassle. Or what can I do to get ir going again? It used to drive in 3 and I have barely any reverse and the o/d light is flashing like crazy. But now it does nothing but slip. Unless I gas it really hard but even then it jusg creeps. I heard it was the bands or the solenoid pack or the servos. I cant find a used transmission for cheap and I really dont wanna spend 500 bucks or more for a tranny thats gonna do the same thing as this one does. Another question I heard that Jasper transmission fixed all of fords problems in that transmission is that true ? Or no? Anyways if someone could please help me it would be greatly appreciated.
From what I understand, if you rebuild the 5r55 with the fixes and use good parts, it is a pretty solid transmission. I wouldn't even consider installing a used tranny unless I knew exactly how many miles were on it and knew the person that drove it. Swapping out a transmission is a heck of a lot of work and I'd only want to do it once. I wouldn't take the risk of installing somebody else's used and abused tranny.

But us there any transmissions that are compatible wiribg wise yo the 5r55w?

Back