• Register Today It's free!

5R55S swap to 5R55W

385Series

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer XLT
My wife was headed to work in her 04 Explorer 4.0 4x4 with the 5R55S tranny, and it started flasing the OD light. She pulled over and after restarting, it quit flashing and drove/shifted with no issues. She gets in it after work the same day and this thing won't even wiggle the drive shaft in any gear. Any ideas anyone ?? Tranny shot, converter out ??
I've found a 5R55W out of an 03 Explorer 4x4 with the same 4.0 motor. Haven't seen it, but that's what I'm told it is. My research tells me the 03 W is a direct bolt in as far as fit replacement for the 04 S, with only a slight difference in their 5th gear ratio .
But, will the harness from the S plug directly into the W, and will the computer recognize the W or will it start throwing codes ??
Anyone ever done this swap ? Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

My wife was headed to work in her 04 Explorer 4.0 4x4 with the 5R55S tranny, and it started flasing the OD light. She pulled over and after restarting, it quit flashing and drove/shifted with no issues. She gets in it after work the same day and this thing won't even wiggle the drive shaft in any gear. Any ideas anyone ?? Tranny shot, converter out ??
I've found a 5R55W out of an 03 Explorer 4x4 with the same 4.0 motor. Haven't seen it, but that's what I'm told it is. My research tells me the 03 W is a direct bolt in as far as fit replacement for the 04 S, with only a slight difference in their 5th gear ratio .
But, will the harness from the S plug directly into the W, and will the computer recognize the W or will it start throwing codes ??
Anyone ever done this swap ? Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
It is not the harness which will cause trouble codes, but rather the computer. To use the W successfully, you must use the PCM programmed for the W, not the S. Gear ratio difference is not limited to only 5th/. gear, and if W is used with the S computer, PCM, expected shaft speed ratios will be out of whack, causing "incorrect gear ratio" codes. imp

Did this end up working, having the same dilemma, sorry know it is an old thread

Back