5R55W: How to test valve body and PCM | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55W: How to test valve body and PCM

WoodrowUSMC

Reaction score
City, State
Carlsbad, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4WD
This is a follow-up to my posting in "sticky": 5R55W Solenoid Body Replacement w/photos.
After replacing the solenoid block my tranny is still having shift problems between 2nd-3rd. The tranny is acting up. O/D light flashing and slow/very difficult shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Checked the codes and get P0745 - Pres Cntrl Sol. A Circuit Malf. Reading up here and elsewhere on the web suggest replace the solenoid block which I did. It's a 2002 XLT V6 4x4 with 73,000. I also replaced trans filter, changed fluid change, and adjusted the bands.
From earlier posts the only recommendations were: (1) to replace the solenoid block which I did, (2) replace valve body and/or (3) get the PCM flashed or replaced.
Are there any tests that I can do to determine cause of my transmission problems. Specifically is there a test for the Valve Body and PCM? Also, if I replace the Valve Body after having PCM flashed will it have to be flashed again?.
I would like to use systematic troubleshooting procedures to establish which part(s) need to be replaced or if PCM needs to be flashed vice to just start doing procedures or replacing parts without having determined that their the cause of the problem.
Also, if anyone has had this same problem and determined the fix I would appreciate knowing it and of course I welcome any other ideas that would provide a fix for my transmission. Thank you.

Brooklyn Bay thanks for the reply unfortunately I do not have the test plates you mentioned.

Background: The vehicle belongs to my son who took it to the Ford dealer who said without any road test, diagnostic test, or any other type of evaluation told him the transmission needed to be rebuilt at a cost of $3500. The dealership also told him if they did test it they could only determine if the problem was internal or external to the transmission but not what the specific problem was. Since I'm retired from the Marine Corps I have plenty of time to do things and since I've always worked on vehicles thought I could fix his transmission and save him some money. I searched the internet and found this site to be the most informative and instructional. So based upon the symptoms the transmission exhibited and the information I gleaned from this site I replaced the solenoid block which I thought was the most likely fix. However, it didn't fix the problem and symptoms remain the same.

Next Step: I will fix the transmission (it's a personal thing now) so I made my first posting on the "5R55W Solenoid Body Replacement w/photos." topic. Since I didn't get any responses I started a new topic in an effort to get more information about additional troubleshooting procedures. Since I don't have the required equipment to test I believe my next course of action will be to: (1) have PCM flashed which would be the easiest or (2) replace the valve body.
To help me make this decision I would like to know if I have the PCM flashed and it doesn't correct the problem and I then replace the valve body will I have to have the PCM flashed again? If the latter is the case I will replace the valve body first to see it that fixes the problem and then have the PCM flashed. This would save the cost of a second PCM flash and the benefit of having a new valve body.
So bottom line: Will replacing the valve body require a PCM flash?

Thanks again for yours and others input which has been invaluable. Because of this I joined the site today.

Back