• Register Today It's free!

5spd to auto conversion

eXXXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, TEXAS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport 4x4
The tranny in my '91 sport 4x4 is shot. I want to swap out my 5spd for an auto. I eventually want to do the 5.0 swap, so I decided on using a C4. Will my stock BW 1354 bolt up to a C4 if I use the tailshaft and output shaft from a C5? If so, what bellhousing can be used with a C4 and bolt up to my 4.0L? Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what ru gogint o do with all those manual parts they are looking mighty good to me

but 5 speeds are fun.... so confused....

sajnaj said:
what ru gogint o do with all those manual parts they are looking mighty good to me

I have no intentions on ever using any of them after my swap is complete. I will be willing to part with them, so make me an offer on what you want. The only thing wrong with tranny is the reverse gear is broken.

BigBadWimp said:
but 5 speeds are fun.... so confused....

They are fun, but I'm tired of rebuilding manuals, and want the strength and durability of an automatic.

i didn't think you culd put anything but an a4ld in

With a few modifications, some hard work, and a lot of patience, it is possilble to use an automatic tranny other than the A4ld. Last week I took the first step and bought a used C4 for $100. The tranny was out of a running vehicle which shifted fine and leaked no fluid. Now I'm in the process of finding an output shaft and tailshaft from a C5, which is much more diffacult than I anticipated. Does anyone know how I can find out the lenght of the transfercase adapter from a C5?

Look at early 2wd Bronco II's for the C5 adapter you need, also the flexplate and more! 2.8L Capri and some pinto's as I understand also had the parts you need.

You will love the C4, the 5 speeds SUCK

410Fortune said:
Look at early 2wd Bronco II's for the C5 adapter you need

I figured that the adapter would have to be from a 4wd Bronco II to bolt up to the transfercase. How is it that you can use a 2wd adapter? It seems like it would have a slip yoke for the driveshaft.

C5 adapter HELP

What is a reasonable price to pay for a C5 adapter w/ output shaft from a Bronco II? The one I need from Advanced Adapters is over $500, which is absolutely out of the question for my budget. How much money can I expect to shell out for the labor cost to have it put on a C4?

Anybody that can help.........

Are there any members on this site that have swapped in a C4 in place of a 5spd? I need some pointers before I get myself to the point of no return (too much money invested in a project that will never be completed).

Hey, I'm just subscribing to this thread because when my A4LD dies that's exactly what I'm going to do. I think you do need to get the C5 from a 4x4 truck - I get the feeling that C5s are pretty rare in BIIs so...I don't know, you can try asking at www.broncoii.org I know there are several threads on there about this swap (if it's not cool to post a link let me know mods) Well, keep us posted.

Update

Found a C5 that will be donating some goodies. Need money to have C4 rebuilt. All I need to do now is aquire a flexplate, converter, and shifter. It's also probable that my driveshafts will need to be modded. If anybody wants to buy some 5spd parts in TX, let me know.

dt002.jpg

Back