• Register Today It's free!

6 disc factory indash

NBF

Reaction score
City, State
Jonesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport
I have read everything i could find on the factory stereo, but i still need a little clarification. I have the am/fm/cd/cass (18c868)stereo. With a built in amp. Which, if i understand correctly, only powers the subwoofer located by the passenger side rear tirewell. I bought a 6 disc indash changer (18c815) out of a 2002 escape, thinking that it would be a simple replacement. Well, apparently, the 6 disc changer doesn't have an amp built in. So, my sub isn't putting out any bass. I assume this explains why the 6 disc only has two plugs, while my old stereo had three. Is this correct? Is there a way to utilize the factory sub? Would I have to install a seperate amp? I just don't know.. One last thing, Is there a reset for my new stereo, or some kind of code i need to put in to get the freaking CDs to load? I try to load and it says it is full, so i try to eject and it says 'cd error'. Sometimes it says 'Initializing' when i push the load and eject buttons. Any ideas?? If you taken the time to read this, Thanks.

ben

Subwoofered Systems

Ben -

Both the Dual Media (18C868) and CDX6 (18C815) radios are made in two configurations. One model, for "Premium " systems, has an internal 4 channel amplifier. This model is used in "Premium Sound" applications that do not have a subwoofer. The other version is an "Audiophile" model, that has an internal 4 channel amp AND a LINE-OUT output for the separate Subwoofer amplifier.

It sounds as if you took an "Audiophile" Dual Media radio out, and put in a "Premium" version CDX6. The subwoofer, even though it would be in your car, will not work, because it's amp is not getting a signal from the radio. In the Escape, part # 1C3F-18C815-AB is the "Premium" model, part # YL2F-18C815-BE is the "Audiophile" model. So the YL2F-BE model will send a signal for your SW amp, the 1C3F-AB will not.

Your best bet would be an Explorer Sport radio (instead of an Escape), either part# 1L2F-18C815-LB (2001) or part# 2L2T-18C815-GA (2002). The radio chassis in the Audiophile systems is EQ'd to the vehicle interior - the Escape would have a different EQ than the Sport, due to differences in interior volume and speaker packaging.

Regarding not being able to load it up - you have to wait, after pushing "load", until the radio opens the door to accept the next CD - you don't "push it thru" the door like some other models. The other possibility, if someone applied power to the radio before removing the shipping bracket, or they shipped the radio to you without the shipping bracket in place, the mechanism may be damaged. The mechanism in this radio is very delicate - factory policy is, if the radio is "dropped" - SCRAP IT!

regards,

cobrajeff

Big Thanks...

Thanks man, I knew you could help me out. I knew this thing must have been damaged. Thanks a lot for the part #s on the Explorer radios.

Ben

Back