• Register Today It's free!

#6 Spark Plug Fouling Out

Lawdog82

Reaction score
City, State
Minot AFB, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer Sport
I have a 95 Explorer with the 4.0L and have been having a problem with the #6 Spark plug fouling out. I have tried to keep it clean but if I skip cleaning it for more than 4 weeks it will foul out, the fouling is from oil but I can't tell if it is coming from the head or the valves and I haven't been able to find anything in the forums on just a single plug fouling. I have tried to pull a code but my reader won't connect to the truck. I use Bosch Platinum 2 plugs and have had no problems with the other 5 cylinders.

did you try replacing or switching spark plug wires on that cylinder--distributor cap??? I know these are the obvious replys but the first things you should do---followed by a compression check on all the cylinders to compare

Have you ever had the valve covers off? If the PO didn't do maintenance, made lots of short trips, whatever, that black oily gunk can build up and block the oil return passage. Oil backs up under the valve cover and floods the valve seals.
It usually is a cylinder close to the firewall.

Do a compression test, then give that cylinder a squirt of oil and see if that helps the rings seal. If number goes up then you've got a bad ring or two. If there's no change then you likely have a bad valve seal.

Valve seals can be changed w/head still on. Bad rings, you just change the plug ever so often

hope this helps.

Back