60/40 Split Bench or Captains on the 2nd row | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

60/40 Split Bench or Captains on the 2nd row

roamingphantom

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 EX Limited, 302A
hey all,
I am a little undecided and would like your input.

I have owned 3suvs with 60/40 split bench 2nd rows and I am considering getting a Lim with captains. In my opinion it takes away from the suv feel. Am I wrong? - think its just a matter of getting accustomed to it? To me captains bring back the thought of those wagons etc. kinda soccer momish.

I am a single guy and would enjoy it with whichever woman friend I have at the moment. No kids yet but I am thinking captains may be nice when they come along?

How did you adjust and what do you think if you have them?

Its a little hard to find the Plat white and pecan/black interior in my area with the 60/40 bench and I don't wanna wait for the factory order (if it can be done).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FWIW............

I too wanted the 60/40 and was planning on ordering my Sport with them.

BUT...........I found what I wanted on a dealers lot, one with the 60/40 and one with the buckets in rear. After looking at them side by side, I paid the extra for the rear buckets.
And now, a month and a half later, never regretted it. Actually love them now.

I think there are good and bad with both. Just depends on your situation.

Looking back, I sort of wish we'd have gotten the buckets. The bench row is terrible with car seats as other threads have addressed. We're dealing with having the passenger seat damn near up at the dash just to fit a rear facing car seat. Second, I think buckets feel more luxurious for rear seat passengers than the bench, if that matters.

However, we have needed that extra seat that the bench provides a few times to fit 7 people in. And sometimes it's easier to just have someone sit in the middle of the bench between the car seat and another person than remove the cargo mat we have behind the second row, put the third row seats up and make someone climb back there.

Good luck with your decision!

We have one with bench and one with buckets and no console. My wife's with buckets provides easy access to the third row. It has more of a mini van feel. I sometimes wish it had the console, but, I think it would be the same as having a bench as far as third row access. My EX, with the bench is a more versatile vehicle. If I need to haul something, fold all the seats flat and go. Three average size 7-11 year old boys fit comfortably in the bench. The 40 section of the bench moves to allow pretty easy access to the third row. We have been past car seats long before the twin exes came along, so I can't comment on that. If I had to do it over today, I would stick with the bench, but, my wife loves the buckets. Go figure. My two cents. Good luck.

As stated - pros and cons of both...
if well made, buckets are more comfortable with side bolsters, etc... but in many cases like with my last Ford Excursion the bench was more comfortable and useful especially with the wide, padded fold down portion that served as armrest...

and you are not really planning ahead if you are talking WHITE interior and kids ?!?! What are you thinking :) :) :) good luck on your decision...

As stated - pros and cons of both...
if well made, buckets are more comfortable with side bolsters, etc... but in many cases like with my last Ford Excursion the bench was more comfortable and useful especially with the wide, padded fold down portion that served as armrest...

and you are not really planning ahead if you are talking WHITE interior and kids ?!?! What are you thinking :) :) :) good luck on your decision...

You are absolutely right, i didnt think about that. Maybe i'll go for the charcoal/pecan.

No one has mentioned (unless I missed it) that these are not true captain's chairs offered in the explorer. We have a Tahoe with true captains chairs and love them but after looking at the buckets in the explorer, I wasn't thrilled. They just look....wrong. Almost like their arms were chopped off. Personally, if I were to get them, I'd want them to have arm rests. Kind of defeats the purpose IMO. Funny thing is, I originally ordered them on the first vehicle I ordered and glad I didn't take them. I am going for a bench in the next one.

I think the way i am going to go is with whats familiar - bench seats. I am not liking the fact that on the outside it looks like a fantastic magnificent beast and on the inside with captains its gonna look like a 2 bit chick pansy mini van.

I am never going to be in the 3rd row so not worried about my 5'10'' frame fitting in there.

You are absolutely right, i didnt think about that. Maybe i'll go for the charcoal/pecan.
You posted a White exterior and black/pecan interior. Nothing about a white interior. I have the White Tri-coat and love it. It doesn't show the dirt as readily and stays cool to the touch in Summer sun.

Peter

You posted a White exterior and black/pecan interior. Nothing about a white interior. I have the White Tri-coat and love it. It doesn't show the dirt as readily and stays cool to the touch in Summer sun.

Peter

I was thinking of getting the light stone - so i thought i posted it.

Back