6th Gen Stock 2020+ Explorer & Aviator Photo Thread | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

6th Gen Stock 2020+ Explorer & Aviator Photo Thread

I'm somewhat new to car detailing. I stopped bothering to wash my year 2000 4Runner a long time ago. But I'm about to join the modern world with our Explorer ST arriving as soon as this weekend. I see that most of the beautiful shiny Explorers in this thread have benefited from a ceramic paint coating. Since I'm going to be at the dealership soon to finalize the purchase, are there any opinions here in me taking the paint protection product that they will offer. I've heard to usually avoid these dealership upsells but after seeing so much praise for ceramic coatings in this thread I'm wondering if it's worth considering having the dealership take care of it even if it's a price premium. We have a toddler and just had a baby so I won't anytime soon be able to find the time to DIY the coating myself. If it's not an outrageous cost, maybe just let the dealer do it and then it's just done. If so, what's a reasonable price range to accept from the dealership for this service? Is what a dealer offers the same kind of ceramic? Thanks!

Do not get anything from the dealer regarding paint or interior protection. That is just a complete waste of money.

If you want it done right, find a authorized dealer for the product you choose. It took 2 1/2 days to have my vehicle done right and that was without paint correction. That would have been at least another full day but the magnetic hides defects so well I wasnt going to pay another $350 for it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do not get anything from the dealer regarding paint or interior protection. That is just a complete waste of money.

If you want it done right, find a authorized dealer for the product you choose. It took 2 1/2 days to have my vehicle done right and that was without paint correction. That would have been at least another full day but the magnetic hides defects so well I wasnt going to pay another $350 for it.

I generally see what you're saying about dealer. I've always been leary of add-ons from the dealership because of high mark-ups.

However, prices are all over the map for ceramic clear coat even considering detailers. Dealer offers the exterior clear coat plus leather treatment for $599. A local car-washer / detailer offers a ceramic coating for $359. Another higher end looking detailer offers Xpel Fusion Plus ceramic for $1,500, which strikes me a quite high.

It's tempting to go with the dealer because if they screw it up, we have better recourse in returning the vehicle. A bad job done by a local detailer could be a dragged out complication. I'll keep researching local detailers to get better sense of products and pricing.

I generally see what you're saying about dealer. I've always been leary of add-ons from the dealership because of high mark-ups.

However, prices are all over the map for ceramic clear coat even considering detailers. Dealer offers the exterior clear coat plus leather treatment for $599. A local car-washer / detailer offers a ceramic coating for $359. Another higher end looking detailer offers Xpel Fusion Plus ceramic for $1,500, which strikes me a quite high.

It's tempting to go with the dealer because if they screw it up, we have better recourse in returning the vehicle. A bad job done by a local detailer could be a dragged out complication. I'll keep researching local detailers to get better sense of products and pricing.

Ceramic coating should be in the ball park of $450 for the 1st coat and $200 for each individual coat. So for 2 coats, you should be in the $600-$700 range (this was car, mirrors, glass). You should also have a polish applied prior (not a wax) if you dont want paint correction done. I chose for a $200 polish instead of a $550 paint correction since flaws were barely noticable.

So all in all, you are in the $800-$900 range for a quality job done right.

What is an exterior clear coat? Are they trying to tell you they are applying another layer of clear coat on top of the factory clear coat? And remember their retailers are the lowest paid outsourced people.. I would NEVER let a dealership detail my vehicle.

Here are some photos of my ST in a variety of lighting situations. The metallic gray has a nice way of subtle change in color depending on the lighting. The two photos of it in the driveway are after getting the two front windows tinted.

It’s replacing a 20 year old 4Runner with manual 5-speed. So it’s an astonishing upgrade. Jekyll and Hyde; it can be mellow and unassuming if you drive calmly in normal or eco modes or have a blast with tons of power in sport mode and different shift points that hold at optimal RPMs. I can get to the daycare really quickly.

My only complaints so far are that it doesn’t play nicely with a hitch mount bike rack. The reverse sensors pick it up as an object and it will slam on the brakes, giving me a small heart attack. You can get around that by disabling the Reverse Brake Assist with one button next to the hazard button. But it resets back on every time you turn off the vehicle. Not the end of the world, but it is annoying. Currently looking into work arounds if anyone has any recommendations.

Update: Tip from the internet. I covered up the rear sensors with small rubber furniture pad protectors. I don't have to remember anymore to disable the reverse assist. I lose some functionality for parking but for me it's preferable to be able to keep my rack on all the time.

BC51CB60-EE75-4A90-89EA-3884E373CEA8.jpeg
0B072DFC-8F53-4982-9FD8-A9F8B74E58FE.jpeg
5D262533-F740-4B7A-AC3D-5F89FE3BA9B5.jpeg
CAA5CBB5-A633-4BB1-9CAD-79ECA5530F2A.jpeg

Here are some photos of my ST in a variety of lighting situations. The metallic gray has a nice way of subtle change in color depending on the lighting. The two photos of it in the driveway are after getting the two front windows tinted.

It’s replacing a 20 year old 4Runner with manual 5-speed. So it’s an astonishing upgrade. Jekyll and Hyde; it can be mellow and unassuming if you drive calmly in normal or eco modes or have a blast with tons of power in sport mode and different shift points that hold at optimal RPMs. I can get to the daycare really quickly.

My only complaints so far are that it doesn’t play nicely with a hitch mount bike rack. The reverse sensors pick it up as an object and it will slam on the brakes, giving me a small heart attack. You can get around that by disabling the Reverse Brake Assist with one button next to the hazard button. But it resets back on every time you turn off the vehicle. Not the end of the world, but it is annoying. Currently looking into work arounds if anyone has any recommendations.

Also, wireless charge pad won’t fit an IPhone 8 Plus with a case on it

View attachment 175122 View attachment 175123 View attachment 175124 View attachment 175125

Go into setting to change the brake assist to off. You don't need to press that button every time.

Go into setting to change the brake assist to off. You don't need to press that button every time.

You sure about that? Double check on your vehicle, please. I've tried multiple time also through the settings via the screen and it does the same thing; it resets to Reverse Brake Assist being enabled again each time the vehicle is turned off and back on again.

Seeing as this is likely considered an important safety feature, I would be very surprised if you could disable it permanently within the vehicle settings. Although I haven't been able to find it in the Manual, I'm guessing that default is ON.

Peter

You sure about that? Double check on your vehicle, please. I've tried multiple time also through the settings via the screen and it does the same thing; it resets to Reverse Brake Assist being enabled again each time the vehicle is turned off and back on again.

I am parking in a garage with cars around me. 1st time when I bought it and tried to backwards park my car, there was at least 1 foot remaining and the car pressed on brakes, I thought I hit something and almost got a heart attack. I went in the options and turned that auto brake assist off. I will double check to see if it is off, but so far auto brake assist seems to be off, it only makes sounds.

I will double check tomorrow to see if the the auto brake assist is off in the option menu just to make sure but it seems to stay off auto brake assist.

Picked this up on Halloween. The same date I got my previous 2017 Explorer. It is Ceramic Pearl and is the Reserve with 201A package plus tow package.

Peter

Aviator.jpg

Aviator2.jpg

Aviator3.jpg

engine2.jpg

engine4.jpg

DSCN0094[1].jpg

Picked this up on 1 month ago - Platinum with bench seat, didn't want the tech package based on comments about the portrait screen

Inked20191005_142018_LI.jpg

20191005_141939.jpg

Picked this up on 1 month ago - Platinum with bench seat, didn't want the tech package based on comments about the portrait screen

View attachment 175266

View attachment 175267

Nice ride. That's what I did too: opted out of the Tech package to avoid the vertical screen. I'm going to be staring at that screen for years so I'd better like it.

Curious If anyone purchased splash guards. If so, perhaps you could post a pic or two? I'd like to see what these factory splash guards look like when install.

Thanks!

Nice ... Rapid Red is a beautiful color

Congrats Matt. Something's wrong with that garage. Too clean.:D

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So it was between Xpel and Suntek. I've read a lot of reviews between 4 or 5 films and these seem to be the best 2. Suntek is easier to apply and less orange peel. It is also a little more glossier than Xpel.

Neither have the kits out yet for the 2020. Suntek has the window tint templates so he thinks the bumper and hood should be out very soon.

The suntek dealer here does xpel as well and he recommends Suntek. Also said for this type of vehicle to save my money on a whole hood and just do a partial.

The fact he is recommending me to save money shows he is being honest. So I am going with Suntek (Porsche uses Suntek at their factory for their vehicles).

This dealer is $1,200 for full paint correction, 2 Base Coats, 2 top coats, full glass and wheels. Also going to have him do the calipers so it is a lot easier to clean them (nothing like dirty red calipers). Will also have him do the door handle pockets.

Hood is $299, I'm going to order a new set of "Explorer" letters for the hood so he doesnt have to cut the letters out.

Bumper will be around $400. Also doing all the windows for tint.. 90% on the 2nd row, 3rd row and rear. 30% for the front row, all UV protected.

I'm scheduled for the 26th, 2 1/2 days of work.. hopefully the bumper will be out by then otherwise I'll take it back once that template is available.

hey blwnsmoke, did you got paint protection film installed as well? I'm assuming $1200 that u mentioned is for ceramic coating right? I got quotes for suntek ultra ppf for full frontal @$1900 cheapest and $2400 highest. What would be the reasonable price for full front?

Back