8/22/2015: Redcone

2TimingTom

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Alright, let's get this together before the summer vanishes on us.

Let's do Red Cone.
Description of the trail here:
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=9

I've done this trail 3 times. I've selected it because it's one of my favorites. It has some fun challenges for the beginner driver, yet it's not overly technical. The view from the top is nothing short of spectacular.

Let's meet at the gas station in Bailey at 9 am HERE. There is only ONE gas station in Bailey.

Roll out by 9:30 and head up to the trail. There is a nice flat spot to air down and disconnect swaybars.

I've done the trail in 3 hours, but I expect it to take longer with this group. Figure on eating lunch on the trail. We can either loop back to 285 or head up to I-70. I can't turn this into an all-day-epic because I need to be home at some point that evening.

Who's in?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm in. I haven't been up the side in a while.

You will probably know what it sounds like to scrape your undercarriage by the end of the day, but you should be fine. I ran the trail twice with the same but with 33" tires.

I've got Maxtrax boards that we can use to build ramps up onto rocks and use them to get out of other situations as they arise.

I already know that unfortunate sound............I'll see what I can do about slappin together some sliders at least, got everything to make em but the metal. I really dont want to be the guy that slows everyone else down though either. I'll have to see what I can get done on it before then. Thanks Tom.

Chad

Do sweat it. I was once the guy who needed to be spotted over simple stuff.

Sliders aren't really necessary for this trail. If you can get them together by then, great. But if not, don't let that stop you from coming.

Cool, thank you for that Tom. I've put in a request to not be scheduled for work that day, I don't forsee any other reason I can't make it. Headed out to go try and help a lady friend get her car back to town from denver, sounds like the clutch may have grenaded............yay.

If I get lucky and my project in alamosa gets pushed back I will make it!

F150 spring mod done, all new steering ends, ready!

BTW, Tom thanks for recommending Denver Spring and Suspension. Got rear bushings and spring clamps to complete mod. Got rid of the lift shackles and no more squat when loaded so I'm happy.

No problem. Those bushings were a nightmare for me. Could have been lack of proper tools though.

The spring clamps: are those U-shaped things in the leaf pack? If so, my front clamps took a beating on one trip.

Yes, the stock ones are mostly a band of steel with rubber insulating the steel. Good ones are a thick piece of steel with a bolt across the top. That type are usually riveted to the spring. The cheap ones have a detent that keeps them from sliding down.

I don't know just see them installed. Amazon has some but not the rivet type.

Less than a week to go bump.

Still havent driven much, but still no check engine light, still running good. HOWEVER, it has had a slave cylinder leak since I bought it. Top off the fluid once a month or so and it was fine. Now it has made me top it off twice in about 3 days with hardly and miles. I'm going to drive it a bit and see, but I'm gonna be pissed if she wont make it this weekend. Fingers crossed it just burped a little air out of the master cylinder or something...............

Hopefully it was just a little air.

Drove it a bit last night, and runnning out to my storage today to see if I have any scrap metal I could use to make some front sway bar disconnects. I got an idea to use the rear sway bar end links for some quick disconnects. I'll check the level when I get back, hopefully it's still good. I messaged the new girl that joined FR4x4 last night, sounds like she wants to ride along if I can still make it.

This sounds like fun - and I've been meaning to see the top of Red Cone since a couple years back when I had to take Webster Pass due to my mechanical (read: user error) issues. Going to check my Caliper bolts before this trip lmfao

I know we'll be camping this weekend, so maybe we'll kick off our camping trip with a ride up Red Cone.

For now, call me RSVP'd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Considering the most recent review of redcone on the Front RAnge 4x4 site - should we change trails? Sounds like it was indicated that a stock vehicle may potentially have an impossible time making it through Red Cone. I know your rig is up for it, but some others who want to join may not be as equipped.

Back