8" lift for 91 idea | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

8" lift for 91 idea

Hix just did the solid axle swap for around $600. That included Axle, Gears, Springs, Radius Arms, everything. That doesn't include what he got for his old lift stuff either I don't think. Right off the bat you get better controled flex in the rocks, and you can go more places! The ttb that your talking about requires tons and tons of work just to make it work! Sure coil-overs are a lot of money, but for another couple hundred bucks Hix could make a wristed arm and have WAY more flex then any TTB system AND be able to use big tires. Sure the desert runner may like the TTB system, however for anyone that rockcrawls its a waste of time to build it up. I spent probably $1500 just to get my front lifted and re-geared. I use it hard in the rocks and it still is a pos! I would go solid before even contimplating messing with the TTB again! Especially because of the bearings, the stupid lock nuts that keep those on, and the crappy way it moves off-road. Sorry I just don't ever see the TTB being cheaper to lift.

Is there a good post out there detailing what actually has to be done to swap out to a solid front axle? What axle is the best one to use or the strongest? If I swap out the front should I swap out the rear to a 9" or something else?

Originally posted by 91xltTerd
Is there a good post out there detailing what actually has to be done to swap out to a solid front axle? What axle is the best one to use or the strongest? If I swap out the front should I swap out the rear to a 9" or something else?

Check out the coversion forum here. It has the answers to every question you would ever have! :)

Back