Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
ha...like I have time to
$50 for an IRS diff cover
$21.43 for 4 square 9/16x12" U-bolts
$10 at the junkyard for 88-97 C1500 rear u-bolt plates
$3 for new center pins for the leafs
$2 for 2 13mmx3" bolts

Replaced the stock diff cover with an IRS aluminum cover. Used the two 13mmm bolts to mount the shocks to the 2 large holes in the cover. These are 2 or the 3 mounting points used to secure the housing in the new Sploders and will be more than strong enough to hold up to my shocks! The top of the shocks remained in the factory location and when bolted to the cover are almost perfectly straight up and down. Not only was I able keep the stock shocks with 6" SUA leafs, but bind is almost non-existant!

Next I dumped the stock U-bolt plates for the Chevy C1500 ones. They have an arc cut exactly right to fit on the top of the 8.8 tube and the bolt spacing is perfect. I ran the square bolts side to side, as opposed to front to back like in the stock configuration. Not only will this let me flip the U-bolt plates up out of the way, but it help to stop my pack from walkin during flex. I replaced my center pins on both sides while I had the plates out, just for preventions sake. I even grabbed the grinder and cut the bottom of the old swaybar tabs off....nothing to hang up on now!

Screw that Dynatrac $150 U-bolt flip kit!!!! :nono: Over-priced Jeeper crap!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is pretty cool. Pics?

Cool..hope I can be there to see it next year at chubfest! If I'm very very very lucky my expo will be very differnt as well :D

Later
code

I'm putting the D44 TTB outers on as well, so as soon as I can get that hung, I will shoot some pics!

Is this all going on the tan expo that got it's rear window busted from that twig ;)
What size tires are you going to run?

Later
code

Yeah, actually both the rear side windows are gone now...damn Orange trail at Badlands!

I doing the 44 outers, 4.56 gears, ARB up front, super runner steering, extended arms, a 1354 manual case, and puttin a set of 35s on it. Should be ready for Pottsys Halloween run at the end of September?!

haha If I dont' have my explorer built up alittle bit by next year i'm going to have to ride along with someone. I'm wanting to get up to Ohio for Pottsys run also...if I do get to go i'm going to be on a 4 wheeler though, 250 timberwolf OR 250 Warrior if I get it running, since I can do anything on those things (been riding for 20 years). THe poor expo isn't going to get drivin on the trail to much until i can lift it more (thinking sas but may change) OR I can buy a tow rig/dd...that dude in the stock tacoma made me look like a puss lol.

Sounds like the explorer is going to pretty bad ass man! Give me some time and i'll be able to run with the big dogs too lol.

Later
code

Back