• Register Today It's free!

87 Bronco II starting issues

DocRoche

Reaction score
City, State
NW, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1987 Ford Bronco II
I wish my 1st post in this forum could be something different, but unfortunately I am in need of assistance. Have several issues with my 87 Bronco II.

1. Will turn over and idle for about a minute then dies, a minute might even be generous. If I keep my foot on the gas long enough it will idle normal, but this is usually after about 2-3 minutes of giving it some gas. I cleaned out the IAC valve and throttle body and that helped a little, but still dies shortly after turning over. Once the engine has warmed up a bit it idles normal without dying.

2. It seems to sputter into gear when driving down the road. This is my first automatic vehicle, so I figured maybe I just wasn't use to it. But it rpms pretty high until it goes into gear. Some have mentioned this could be an EGR valve. Anyone have any suggestions?

3. Last but not least it tends to smoke white smoke under the passenger floor while driving. Not an outrageous amount, but enough to notice. This does not happen while the vehicle is idling. Just when driving. No noise is coming from the engine, and I don't see any leaks. I originally and still do think this could be the grime heating up from the outside of the oil pan as it looks like it has been there for awhile. But any insight would help.

Again, I thank you for your help in advance. I look forward to learning from you guys.

Check for vacuum leaks, and check the fluid in the transmission

I'm just brainstorming answers to the sputtering:

Fuel pump
Catalytic converter
Fuel filter
Fouled plugs
Blown head/Head gasket

The head/head gasket could explain away all your problems.

Back