91 Ex stalls and back-fires when cold sometimes. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 Ex stalls and back-fires when cold sometimes.

savagefan

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT, 2013 Sport
Odd problem, has happened 3 times in the last month. Engine dies, let the pump pressure-up, restarts right away only runs for 2 seconds and will back-fire thru the exhaust if you give it some gas pedal. All opinions gladly accepted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Odd problem, has happened 3 times in the last month. Engine dies, let the pump pressure-up, restarts right away only runs for 2 seconds and will back-fire thru the exhaust if you give it some gas pedal. All opinions gladly accepted.

Check the Vacuum lines that are on the Drivers side in the back of the manifold. Follow teh Brake Booster Vaccum line to the little vacuum manifold. If any of the manifold tubes are not Plugged or have a hose going to them.. plug them.
Very common for the Plugs to fall off ..especially after a backfire.

I believe the fuel pump is losing its signal when running. Does it run thru the oil pump/ If so where do I find this device? Thanx.

it could be the fuel pump relay. or its wiring.

Just an update, was getting a code 95 or 96 which was about the signal from the PCM to the pump relay dropping out. I had a PCM from a 91 Aerostar 4.0l and she's back in my good books, not even a hiccup thru this last friggin' cold snap. Thanx for the help folks and Merry Christmas one and all.

Back