91 Explorer Auto Hubs Broken? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 Explorer Auto Hubs Broken?

orangeKawa79

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a 91 explorer. I was wheeling yesterday and when in 4wd, a very loud clunk comes from the front end while driving in a straight line. It seemed that sometimes the 4wd would not engage. When I tried to take it out of 4wd, i would hear clicking and grinding coming from the front as well.

I have read that the auto hubs in explorers are not made well. Does this sound like it could be the hubs not working or something else.

If it is the auto hubs, I know they can be converted to manual hubs. My buddy said that converting to manual hubs can be like $1000. Is this true. What parts are needed for converting to manual hubs from auto hubs?

Thanks,

Garrett

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Garrett, I was looking for the thread below when I noticed your post, I happen to have a hub apart on my coffee table right now (wife's at work). If I was you I would put your x on jack stands and figure out if things are working properly. If you turn the front driveshaft your hubs should engage, when you spin the front tires backwards they should unlock. Often mechanics will pack the hubs with grease which causes problems, as well, when installed your hubs should sit against the brake rotor without pushing in on them, if it doesn't turn the hub and put it back on the rotor until it sits right. Read the thread below, very informative.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149326&page=1&pp=20

Chris.

also, to let u know, converting to manuals is cheep, a couple hundred, for a set of new WARN manual hubs.
i actually ahve a set taht im willing to part from 110 shipped, had em on the truck for a lill under a year, used rarely, never see mudd any more!
but the trucks tranny broke!
so they were not used, has the conversion spindle nuts and everything!
let me know!

go with warns. i beat the crap out of them and i never have a problem.

Back