'91 Explorer HELP! runs, dont run, starts, dont start! NO POWER!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'91 Explorer HELP! runs, dont run, starts, dont start! NO POWER!!

NeurologicalFall

Reaction score
City, State
Liverpool,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Alrighty listen to this! I picked up this '91 Explorer for $600. Ain't in too bad of shape. Needed an obvious valve cover gasket job, and it had a bit of a hesitation. Since buying I've replaced valve cover gaskets, PCV valve, plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, muffler, both power steering lines, engine fan, new belt, battery, starter, and have performed an oil change and a coolant flush. All this and the truck wasn't even on the road yet. So after all that the truck ran beuatifully!! Until I put it on the road the next day. Started it up and had it running for half an hour and then it decides to die, without starting again. Let it sit for a while, starts up again after a few trys and I drove it around going 45mph-75mph for about an hour. Drives fine, idles fine, shifts fine, everything is FINE! Except when it feels like it (usually between 2000-3000rpms) the truck starts losing power and it sounds/feels like it's being choked. Almost sounds like the tailpipe is submerged in water. When travelling at 65mph and you floor the accelerator it kicks into the next gear and the engine races but there is absolutely NO acceleration!! At this point the exhaust sounds as if a tractor trailer just downshifted!! I would assume it's either getting too much gas, not enough gas, or the cats are clogged causing it to choke on it's own exhaust. I was going to remove the entire exhaust from the cat-back and drive it around to see if it made a difference, but I can't even manage to remove the cats because one of the bolts is in the upper corner of the inside of the frame! How do you get to that little sucker??? Anyone have any suggestions, advice, commentary, anything!?!? I'm compeltely lost! Thanx!!

SAWZALL. Works every time. Unless you have access to a cutting torch or plasma cutter. Just cut the bolts. I removed mine at the manifold and cut the rest up with a Dewalt. Whatever works. Usually a stopped up cat will cause overheating before any major malfunctions. Let us know what you discover, I have a 91 and if I run into that problem, it would be nice to have a few places to look.

check you fuel pressure regulator or vacuum hose to it. sounds like you are getting to much fuel an flooding under load

Back