• Register Today It's free!

91 no start.

savagefan

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT, 2013 Sport
Hello and welcome to my first post. I drove my x into the garage today where it stalled and will not start. Nice of it to wait till then. Pump runs. No spark had spare good ig module, coil pack and crank pos sensor, still no spark. All fuses both under dash and in pdb are good. All ideas at this time will be greatly appreciated, thanx Iain.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it turn over? Check ground to the moter then starter.

Among the things I would do:

1) Pull codes. Some no starts will leave clues in the computer.
2) You've replaced several components, but you have to remember that none of these operates in isolation. They are interconnected by several feet of wire and need both good power supply and ground to operate properly.

As an example, someone came on here about a year ago I think with a similar problem. Pulled codes and got a CID code. Insisted that all the wiring was good, so replaced several components. Chased the problem for several weeks and finally found out that the ICM didn't have either power or ground (don't remember which).

3) As 4.0 freak noted, the engine block has to be properly grounded for the spark plugs to fire, so a bad engine ground could be a problem.

Yes the engine cranks perfectly so we can assume it is grounded to batt. Koeo 89 tcc I believe. Are there any connectors that are trouble prone on these rigs? Won't have much time this week to get near it but would like to chew over any fresh ideas.

Bap sensor was *****ed runs fine now, hope this helps someone in the future.

It's back! Died on me without warning, had been running great for a month. Got a code 18-loss of tach output to pcm. Tach also doesn't bounce when cranking. Again no spark. Reading about 7 mV at edis 5 and 6 @ cranking speed. I'm thinking that there is a broken wire/ bad pin between EDIS and PCM, any ideas? Thanx.

sell it?

Can't lost too much hair, must fix it, and garsh it looks so cool!

Back