'91 transmission problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'91 transmission problem

BIG REED

Reaction score
City, State
Sullivan In
i just got a '91 explorer 4x4 w/ a 4.0 eng. and auto tranny.

the problem is when i put the tranny in R it does nothing, just like its in P. then when i put it in N it drives forward like it is in OD and shifts fine. od-1 work normally also. but no R or N.

any chance i dont need to just replace this tranny?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it sounds like your shift linkage is all screed up....or the Z link is unhooked....

Don't give up on the trans when it might be as simple as that

this z link, do i need to just pull the tranny pan to see it? or pull the tranny out?

as far as linkage, is there something i can just reach up on the tranny and select gears like i can on my old tf 727 in my dodge? - im not used to cable shifting trannys.

thanks for the help

Welcome to this forum! You have to pull the pan to see the Z link. You don't have to remove the entire transmission. The linkage cable is located on the driver's side of the transmission just a little above the pan in the middle. You have the main linkage for P R OD D 2 1, and the one for kick down which is connected to the throttle pedal.

And yes, with the cable disconnected you can hand shift the tranny... I'd not recommend you crawl under tha truck and do that unless it was on a hoist with all tires off the ground.

ok i pulled up on some ramps in the front, put the back on jackstands, and i can see that the shifter cables is doing its job fine, but when i put the explorer in reverse (from park) the wheels rotate forward about 1/2 turn then lock in place (same as park).

still thinking "z"link?

im going to pull the pan tonight after work to see what i can see.

ok i pulle dthe tranny pan last night, the pan didnt have any debis, hardly any shavings. the z link is still in there, it does look a little "sloppy" where it goes int the manual valve index. the z link kind of slides deeper into it just a little and is looser than i imagined it would have been, but im going to play with that part a little more this weekend.

also, my manual valve index does not have that "notched" end like the one in that link. whats that all about?

at what point should i quit fooling around with this and just get another tranny?

thanks

The stock manual valve did not come with an "indexer". That is a sonnax aftermarket part. Still I have trouble thinking the hole is SO elongated that you do not have reverse.

I'd put a pressure gauge on it and see what my line pressures do in the various gears. Your no neutral sounds very odd. THAT is pure and simple a linkage or manual valve problem. (To the best of my knowledge in A4LD's - and I know them pretty well.)

anything else i should check out while i have the tranny pan off before it goes back on to check the pressure?

it definetlly doesnt look sloppy enough to miss any gears, even if it were, wouldnt i loose the gears on either end of the range (ie p and 1)

thanks for all the help so far.

Back